Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beginner with a 30L Nuvo fusion

Berto135

Just purchased a Nuvo fusion 30L. I also purchased 33lbs of dry rock and, icecap 1K, need advice on good lighting. Any recommendations, tips and tricks?

I was wondering if anyone has one? and how do you like it? a good heater? can I cycle the tank without lights? 

Good choice Berto. I ran mine for a good 4 years before upgrade. A great little tank. If youre after the aesthetics and don't want to keep anything high light then the Current Orbit lights are cheap enough and does a good job. Other wise you'll need 2 lights (XR15, AI Primes etc.) You'll find cycling without lights is best, no ugly algae phase to deal with :). 

I ran it with a lot of Marine pure balls in a mesh bag in the 2nd chamber in the rear, so I could keep the rock structure quite light in the display and really let the corals fill in. Standard Eheim heater and stock pump. If you are going with 1 pump only then I would recommend getting the random flow generators and point the returns towards the main flow of the Ice Cap just to create some turbulent flow. The gyre flows are pretty laminar and not the best for such a shallow tank. 

Let me dig up some photos of it in its prime days. Will post later.

• Thanks 1

you need good lighting for a 36" tank like the 30L. take a look at the Current USA options. they even have a kit that can work in conjunction with their powerheads so you can create weather events and stuff.

alternatively, some good MITUSA options are the the AI Prime HD or the Nano Box Tide. though you would need 2 or 3 of them them to give full cover.

• Thanks 1

The IM tanks are great. I have the 10g and 25g.

Like rusty rocket mentioned, the rfg's are great, they really add a lot of random flow. I just added them to my 25g and can't believe the difference.

During cycling it's best to not run lights, it really will only be a benefit to algae.

There are many light options in various budgets.

2 x ai prime HD

2 x kessil

2 x radion

Current orbit

Mars aqua or viparspectra 

Good heaters eheim jagger(rather large so ensure it will fit), cobalt neotherm,

aqueon PRO

If you aren't planning on running an ato, the heater can't go in the pump(s) chamber

• Thanks 1