Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxima clam, zoas

WhatsReef

I just got me a maxima clam a few days ago and I got it situated on a rock on the sandbed. Currently adding some zoa frags into the display area. Would it be okay to let zoas grow to surround the clam or should I make an effort to keep his foot area clear of polyps?

Follow-up question - do Maxima's like to be situated straight up and down or do they not mind being on a moderate slant, say 30 degrees?

thecoralbeauty

I've got several maxima and crocea clams that have had mushrooms and GSP grow all over their shells without issue. If I notice the mantle on one isn't extending all the way (seems like  a mushroom is tickling it, keeping it from extending out all the way) I'll grab an old toothbrush and scrub that mushroom off, rinsing the clam shell in salt water before returning to my tank, just to get the dead mushroom gunk off there. 

I'd imagine zoas would be the same.

I'd make sure the rock you let it attach to is a rock you don't mind it being stuck to forever- I've seen clam hammocks but i also have made little putty pedestals for mine, making them easier to move around. If your clam doesn't like where it's sitting, it'll re-adjust itself (or try to), such as jumping off the rock, changing orientation with the current by turning around, etc. Generally they like straight up and down, but mine are every which way and happy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1