Innovative Marine Aquariums

jalli 2x55 watt opinions please

rsaund

Hi,

I am thinking of putting a Jalli hood (2x55 watt PC, straight pin style) over a 20 gallon. I am thinking about putting one 10,000k daylight and one Actinic 03 from HelloLights in that hood.

From what I understand, the ballast is in the hood, there's a fan, and the two lights operate on independent switches. I think they look pretty nice, suspended over the tank with a mounting stand.

I am trying to get opinions before forking out the money. Specifically who has good/bad experience with Jalli brand? Are they good quality or junk?

THANKS

Robin

I have that exact light over my 20H. I've had it for about four months, with no problems. Heat has not been an issue at all. I like it and would recommend it. The only thing with the light is if your planning on using the mounting stands, the light is actually just a little over 23" long so the mounting stands will not reach both edges of a 24" tank, such as a 20H.;)

Thanks for the reply. The tank I am getting is at the LFS, I don't know the brand, but they have it displayed with the Jalli, so I know it fits. I'm probably going to buy the tank from the LFS, but mail order the lights cause they want way too much for 'em. I will see if I can find out the brand of tank and post it here, cause it's really cool. It's acrylic and has rounded corners, but it's not really a bowfront. It has a front display section and a rear "sump" which I am going to use as a refugium. They only had the display tank and will have to order for me, and I was too thick-headed to ask for the brand name:)

Robin

That's the same light I have also Robin. So far so good, the fan is a little noisy but after awhile you don't even hear it anymore. It seems to be pretty bright for my 20g and the Xenia and Capnella love it:D

Buying it at Something Fishy?

Edit: Brianc, do you have the dark stands(same color of the fixture) or the clear stands? I ask because when I first bought mine I had dark stands that didn't fit my 20g high, I called the LFS and told them my problem and they said it was the wrong stands and gave me the clear stands which do fit the 24" across.

Robin, the display tank at SF has the Jalli but that one was 2*35w. Unless they changed it but I don't think so. Just to give you an idea of how bright it will be, much brighter than they're tank on display.

Well contact where you bought them from, hopefully an LFS so they can probably exchange them and give you the clear ones. Otherwise I don't know. Maybe MO them from my LFS!! I don't know why they have two different stands?:

Hi again,

Yes, I got a quote on the 2x55 from them, cause you can never have enough light!

But I think I'm gonna get the lights MO, cause I can't justify their prices compared specials online for the exact same thing ($100 difference so far, but haven't checked shipping costs.) I like to give as much business as I can to the LFS, but in this case.... can't do it.

I will get that acrylic tank from SF though. Not the bioballs, etc... just the bare tank. Then I'm going to do a little refugium in the first compartment instead (the one they have the skimmer in).

What do you think?

Robin

I was just looking at that same hood set-up and those lights from hellolighting. I have the Jali 12 gallon bow front that they made, and it came with a 36w PC hood set. My tank has the foot print of a 20g, with a length of 24" x 12" width. The hood fits just fine for a glass tank, but as far as the acrylic I don't see a problem at all, it will just support itself on the tank and you can move the supports to fit you tank if it's smaller.

I think a little rufugium will be nice for that tank, better than the bio-balls. Of course, I just rely on water changes for my 20g and so far so good, no serious algae outbrakes. But a little extra insurance from a refugium is nice.

When you order the lights just make sure they have the clear stands and not the darker, or it may not fit. What are they charging now, I paid $180-190 for mine, but for hardware I like to get it close to home so I can return it right away if something isn't right. The MO, if its that cheap, are they throwing in bulbs for you also?

By the way, isn't the front main tank actually a little smaller than 20g? I thought they(SF) said the whole tank together(front, skimmer, bio-balls chambers) were 20g. Not that it isn't a nice tank, I wish I had that tank instead of my 20g AGA, but oh, well. Some other time I'll buy it.

One more thing Robin, SF has the display tank lights on the clear stands. I noticed the pic you posted of the lights has the dark stands, so make sure you get the clear stands. Maybe contact SF and see if they have them for sale/trade if this MO doesn't.

Edit: I also like these lights because the have 2 seperate switches so you can do the dawn/dusk simulation, unless you get smartbulbs.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to my local store of misinformation to order the clear stands for my jalli 2x55. No one there new what the hell I was talking about.I went back later and talked to someone else who seemed to have a clue. Explained to him why I wanted the clear stands, gave him the model number of the light that they were to go on etc, etc. He gave the information to someone else to order them. Two weeks later, I swung by the store to get them(apparently they had come in the prior week but no one bothered to call me). I got them home only to realize the morons ordered the clear stands for a 1x55 jalli, not the 2x 55. Now, I have to go back and filter through a sea of uncooperative salespeople before I find someone that will know what the hell I'm talking about, return the wrong ones that they ordered and re-order the correct ones. Just venting a little. Has anyone seen these stands mail order on the net, it would probably be a lot easier than trying to deal with these idiots again. What a pain in the ass for a 4 dollar item.

Needed to vent a littleX) X)

Hi Brianc,

I am not surprised, unfortunately,

When trying to decide about the jalli lights, I talked to a salesrep at Custom Aquatics about making sure I could get the clear stands. He had absolutely no clue what I was talking about, and that's part of my decision to go with a retrofit kit and a different hood. What a pain. Sorry you went through this after the sale!

Robin

They do have the clear stands at customaquatic.com for the jalli hood. I got mine for $3.99. If you need to get them, give them a call or e-mail them. Try to get in touch with their sales manager Craig Taylor. He's the guy I talked to on the phone.

Archived