Top Shelf Aquatics

New 30 gallon setup

A to Z

Starting a new 30 gallon nano with a used tank and stand I purchased for $100. Also building a custom sump from a 10 gallon I acquired for $5. I have performed a leak test and everything checks out so now to move on to the build. This is going to be a long slow process but I will keep everyone updated and post as the build continues to progress. Pictures will be uploaded at each stage.

554070CD-4221-4037-81D8-FE9198D32D6B.jpeg

0FE63C27-13FE-4988-BF0C-CFE1ABEB0736.jpeg

7A15EC7C-E1D5-4C43-B441-60EA25EE6366.jpeg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Friendly said:

that's a steal of a deal!

I just checked Kijiji and Craigslist for used aquariums in the armpit area I live in...zippo, nil, nada, nuffin.  😞

I found this one on Facebook market place

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, A to Z said:

I found this one on Facebook market place

well...the bigger issue is population density for where I live. you can drive for 3 hours in any direction and there's less than 30K for population. I also think, because we're more rural, the popular pets are cats, dogs n things like horses.

I don't mind, being rural is worth it! we've got eagles living in our back yard! 😄

1 minute ago, Friendly said:

well...the bigger issue is population density for where I live. you can drive for 3 hours in any direction and there's less than 30K for population. I also think, because we're more rural, the popular pets are cats, dogs n things like horses.

I don't mind, being rural is worth it! we've got eagles living in our back yard! 😄

I would prefer to live somewhere like that but work has me stuck in the city. Lol

yeah, I was trapped in the concrete jungle known as Vancouver, for 10 years...but my wife's parents are aging and all, so we moved to a lil place called Prince Rupert. it's only 2 hours by plane, but to drive here you're looking at 17+ hours. what particularly sucks is we're the end point, nowhere to go once you hit us and the first town in from us, Terrace, about an hour n a half or so, is smaller, but has all the amenities because of surrounding villages and such. :P

we have a pet store, and to their credit they have ONE tank that's SW, so I'm going to support them the best I can...but they can only get stuff from the likes of Hagen n such, so not the aquarium gear I want.

but enough about me, LoL!

what are you going to do with the tank? lighting?

59 minutes ago, A to Z said:

Haven’t fully committed yet but looking at 

Touch the image to zoom in

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light 24 - 36”

yeah, that light is a serious contender for me as well.

well, my primary concern is your lighting...this is a deep tank, so you are going to need something powerful. you  might want to consider some sort of T5 and LED hybrid. T5 fixtures would fit that top and LED's would give you the other colors for 'pop'. if it turns out that the Current USA option is good enough, then you could also look at their pumps and wave makers and use the controller to simulate storms, moon, etc.

for the 10 gallon sump, how many sections are you going to have in it?  most I've seen have 4 with a setup like:

chamber 1 -  intake with filter sock

chamber 2 - skimmer / media reactor

chamber 3 - refugium

chamber 4 - return pump

I would recommend finding the skimmer / media reactors you want and then design how the sump will break up. I know the IM nano skimmer and media reactors are popular, but there are a number of options out there now.

you would need a light for the refugium if you go for one.

now I am only parroting what I've read...I've still got to launch my tank, but these are the things I've  picked up for consideration along my way.  🙂

2 hours ago, Friendly said:

well, my primary concern is your lighting...this is a deep tank, so you are going to need something powerful. you  might want to consider some sort of T5 and LED hybrid. T5 fixtures would fit that top and LED's would give you the other colors for 'pop'. if it turns out that the Current USA option is good enough, then you could also look at their pumps and wave makers and use the controller to simulate storms, moon, etc.

for the 10 gallon sump, how many sections are you going to have in it?  most I've seen have 4 with a setup like:

chamber 1 -  intake with filter sock

chamber 2 - skimmer / media reactor

chamber 3 - refugium

chamber 4 - return pump

I would recommend finding the skimmer / media reactors you want and then design how the sump will break up. I know the IM nano skimmer and media reactors are popular, but there are a number of options out there now.

you would need a light for the refugium if you go for one.

now I am only parroting what I've read...I've still got to launch my tank, but these are the things I've  picked up for consideration along my way.  🙂

That’s about right on the chambers. Don,t know if I’m going to set it up as a Refugio morning or bio filtration yet

8 hours ago, A to Z said:

Haven’t fully committed yet but looking at 

Touch the image to zoom in

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light 24 - 36”

I have the 24-36" ic pro on my 20 long. And I have it turned up fairly high. But I'm also trying to maximize light in the hopes of getting a couple sps at the top of my rock work.

I also have 2 of the current wave pumps, the 1050 gph versions, and I have no complaints whats so ever. My tank is right beside my bed and I can't hear them.

30 minutes ago, Slim64684 said:

I have the 24-36" ic pro on my 20 long. And I have it turned up fairly high. But I'm also trying to maximize light in the hopes of getting a couple sps at the top of my rock work.

I also have 2 of the current wave pumps, the 1050 gph versions, and I have no complaints whats so ever. My tank is right beside my bed and I can't hear them.

Thank you for the information it’s very helpful