Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help identify algae and a possible solution?

killakam

Hey guys!

Just needed some advice from you guys. Here is some info about the tank. 

It is a 20g RSM Nano, Ive changed the skimmer to the Tunze nano. The only media I am using is CPE.

For reference the tank is 2 months old, all the parameters are normal; (nitrates/nitrites/phosphates).

The light cycle is almost 8 hours but ill add the light cycle screenshot for reference. 

I have stubborn algae I can't get rid of, not sure if it is part of the cycle or if there is anything I can do to solve the problem.

Even after water changes, the algae seems to appear right back almost a day later. 

I have a few fishes in the tank, I do water changes almost weekly. There is a clean up crew present and I feed the fishes almost daily. 

Ive attached a video for reference as well. 

https://youtu.be/QvarmJr5A8I

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 7.38.14 PM.png

You have a new tank. Diatoms and cyanobacteria infestations are quite common, especially when you're changing your water with tap water instead of RO/DI or distilled water. Skimmers are overkill on nano tanks and shouldn't be necessary. Activated carbon changed out monthly and a good GFO media should be all you need. Remove any sponges and sponge filters from your setup if present. Because they just put nitrate directly into the water column instead of keeping it localized to liverock or dentifrication media where you want it to be processed out.

If you used real liverock, the next bloom phase will probably be copepods. Tiger conchs, Trochus and ceriths are good at taking out patches of diatoms. Eventually, your diatom explosion will crash. It just takes time and is a normal part of the seasoning process.

1 hour ago, OPtasia said:

You have a new tank. Diatoms and cyanobacteria infestations are quite common, especially when you're changing your water with tap water instead of RO/DI or distilled water. Skimmers are overkill on nano tanks and shouldn't be necessary. Activated carbon changed out monthly and a good GFO media should be all you need. Remove any sponges and sponge filters from your setup if present. Because they just put nitrate directly into the water column instead of keeping it localized to liverock or dentifrication media where you want it to be processed out.

If you used real liverock, the next bloom phase will probably be copepods. Tiger conchs, Trochus and ceriths are good at taking out patches of diatoms. Eventually, your diatom explosion will crash. It just takes time and is a normal part of the seasoning process.

Thanks for the response and your insight. 

I am not changing water with tap water, im getting RO water from LFS with 0 TDS reading.

I was thinking about running cheato in a reactor, is it an overkill right now given the parameters of the tank are near perfect?

I used dry rock, what will likely be the next stage?  

What are your actual parameters?  

Why did you change skimmers?  I find my stock skimmer works great. 

My gut is just keep doing what your doing.  I did install a Chaetomorphia reactor on mine but it’s not really growing much.  No idea if it’s helping me keep algae at bay or what is.  I do have a very slight dusting of diatoms.  Tank is 5 months old. 

I only have two fish, one pistol shrimp and a clean up crew.  

I’m also feeding daily, similar light schedule and my parameters are below. 

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

phosphate 0

alk 8.4

calcium 430

magnesium 1480

tsmp 78 degrees. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Hood said:

What are your actual parameters?  

Why did you change skimmers?  I find my stock skimmer works great. 

My gut is just keep doing what your doing.  I did install a Chaetomorphia reactor on mine but it’s not really growing much.  No idea if it’s helping me keep algae at bay or what is.  I do have a very slight dusting of diatoms.  Tank is 5 months old. 

I only have two fish, one pistol shrimp and a clean up crew.  

I’m also feeding daily, similar light schedule and my parameters are below. 

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

phosphate 0

alk 8.4

calcium 430

magnesium 1480

tsmp 78 degrees. 

I changed the skimmer because I could not dial it in and it was a pain in the but, also it was loud. The Tunze is smaller, takes up less space and so far has been much more efficient. 

I can't quote the actual parameters precisely. 

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0-5

phosphate nearly 0

Cool. Sounds similar to mine.  My skimmer is very quiet.  It skims pretty well.  It tends to skim a little wet but not bad.  

Just keep parameters stable and  I bet your tank will settle in just fine.  

5 hours ago, Jeff Hood said:

Cool. Sounds similar to mine.  My skimmer is very quiet.  It skims pretty well.  It tends to skim a little wet but not bad.  

Just keep parameters stable and  I bet your tank will settle in just fine.  

I saw your setup, it looks amazing! 

Thanks.  I eventually plan to hook it all up to a bigger tank but for now it’s a nice experiment.  Seems to make my life pretty easy.  It’s all for nothing if I don’t end up with a cool display.  Ha ha 

12 hours ago, Jeff Hood said:

Thanks.  I eventually plan to hook it all up to a bigger tank but for now it’s a nice experiment.  Seems to make my life pretty easy.  It’s all for nothing if I don’t end up with a cool display.  Ha ha 

Will definitely keep up with it! 

Best of luck, your setup sure is an inspiration. 

Thanks.  Once my corals are busting at the seams then I’ll be happy.  I am off to a good start though.  My 4 corals are happy and hopefully will begin to grow. 

Same RSM nano and same skimmer.  I've replaced the stock skimmer due to the noise. I love my tunze skimmer, very quite. 

I am using dry rocks as well. It's very common for a new tank to have algae problem with dry rocks. Just keep your weekly water change, and dose some nitro bac.