Innovative Marine Aquariums

live rock leaching phosphate

pan_oz

Hello everyone!

I'm currently curing some live rock for my new set up. Actualy I'm cycling both live rock and dry rock in different buckets. My plan is to use my 4.5kg dry rock (caribsea life rock) for my display tank and the 5kg live rock in the sump.

I'm on the second week of curing live rock changing the water every 4-5 days and the rock stil leaching phosphate. Once I brought it home the measurament was 0.6ppm and now its 0.43ppm using hanna ulr.

I have done some amonia tests and it is always under 0.15

My nitrates are 20ppm and I don't test for nitrites

Is it normal for LR to leach that much phosphates? Do I hane to use GFO or  lanthanum chloride to reduce them? 

Seems like your nitrates and phosphates are in balance at least....if you populated the tank with plenty of corals sooner rather than later, they'd happily use up those nutrients during acclimation and growth.

I think I'd get the rock with coraline algae into the display sooner than later too.....you really want that algae to be growing in the tank to reduce the amount of space between corals that's available for pest algae to settle on and grow.

Just some thoughts!  :-)

• 4 weeks later...

if your rock is leaching phosphates from .16 ppm to 50.ppm that means your tank is going through a pleaching process likely coming from an unbalance just recently dying and bleaching tank from a previous owner nothing will work for this except a 30 day high noon break down under the sun, i suggest you do not leave it in your tank till the 30 day drying process is done.

frokly, rab