Top Shelf Aquatics

Where do I cut my 1/2 dead sps?

Jamey

OK, went on vacation...left the IN-LAWS in charge of the 7g bow. (yup...you know where this is going). Well after a week I return to find the in-laws failed to add top off water. Sooooooooooo now I have all my sps that were at the top of the tank 1/2 dead where they were exposed to air.

My question is this: Do I attempt to cut the bleached part off exactly at the boarderline between dead and live? or do I cut just into the live past the dead? I was going to attempt to leave it thinking maybe it will grow over the dead but so far the bleached section have just turned brown. I have acros and montiporas with this conditon.

thanks!!

Jamey

Cut the dead parts off by cutting down about 1/8'' - 1/4'' into the healthy tissue.

If you leave the exposed skeleton they will most likely grow algae on them which will stunt the growth of the sps, plus won't look to nice.

If params are good then the tissue should regrow over the cut part in about a week.

Actually by cutting them you will speed up the growth process.

OK, thanks for replying....are these instructions the same for both the acros as well as the montis? I would have thought the montis would grow over anything eventually...

Jamey

Yeah pretty much any sps.

You can just leave them but like I said if they start to grow algae the tissue won't grow over it. Instead it will have to grow around it slowing it's growth.

The tips are where most of the growth comes from so you want them clean and healthy.

Archived