Coral Vue Hydros

Seachem Reef, or Kent Marine?

greatreef16

I have a 7.5 Nano, that is platic decorations, I want to change the live rock and get more sand, and turn it into an actual nano reef. Right now I have Kent Marine Tech I, Coral Accel, and Strontium Molybdenum. I want to get Trace Elements, and Calcium. So hould I get all of those in Seachem or Kent Marine? Which is better?

what do you have in your tank that you need suppliments for? for most nano-reefs, supplimentation is not necessary unless you have hard corals because water changes replaces most of the things taken up by coral.

in that case, i use both kent and sea chem products. i buy what ever is cheaper. i use alk and calc products. haven't looked into other suppliments ie trace elements yet.

Or go to advancedaquarist and check out what those additives are really made of. And make them yourself.

Arm and Hammer, and Dowflake will take care of calcium and alk.

Kalkawaschwarzenegger or whatever its called is just pickling lime.

Originally posted by Korbin

Arm and Hammer, and Dowflake will take care of calcium and alk.  

Kalkawaschwarzenegger or whatever its called is just pickling lime.

So baking soda for alk or calc? And what is dowflake?

Baking soda for alk. (mix with washing soda (3:1) for higher pH)

Dowflake is calcium chloride. Same stuff as Kent Turbo Calcium. It's an ice-melting salt for driveways and sidewalks.

Pickling lime - you can find in Kroger or Walmart.

Make sure you refer to the article and read about how to use these things. But I'll tell you - I was spending mad cash on Kent products until I started using grocerystore stuff and now I have a life-time supply for about $40.

Archived