Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Determining adequate lighting for Nano

CarlosM

Has anyone bothered renting or buying a PAR meter to determine how adequate their lighting is for their corals?

Set up a 6 gal nano reef a few months ago and recently installes the new Fluval Nano Marine LED (20 watts) and Im now wondering if I shouldve bit the bullet price-wise and paid for the AI Prime HD or one of the Kessils. It would seem at first glance that Fluval light should be good for my small sized tank....but Im starting to second guess after reading all the recommendation on other sites for the AI and Keasils.

This is the light I have: http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/pro.../#.XFujBKROnYU

You could have done the ai prime but on a 6g, it could be too much depending on coral choice.

The kessil a80 is used on a lot of smaller systems.

There are other options as well

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I bought/use a par meter.

As far as your tank, what are you planning on keeping?  Your light may be just fine.

DreC80, I currently have a small colony of GSPs on the bottom of tank,  and am planning on having two Monti Caps on the highest point of the rocks (about halfway up the tank), Psammacora (second highest point on rocks)  a few Euphyllias (bottom rocks). Later on some blue discosomas and Acans or Favias.

The tank itself is about 9 inches high, and the light is probably about 3-4 inches above that. Its the Fluval Edge 6 gal, which Ive modified the hood to fit the new light.

Do you think that would be sufficient to get good color and growth out of the listed corals? Are Acroporas out of question?

Thanks!

The par numbers provided on the site are probably done over air and not water.  It says 600 par at 3 inches, so if the light is 3 to 4 inches above the water, than the par will drop off significantly once it hits the water.  I think if you have your monti caps pretty high up you'll be fine.  As far as acros, most people aim for 250 or higher par.  It may be a little more tricky with acros.  I think the other corals you listed will be fine.  Sometimes you can get away with lower lighting if you feed your corals.

The only way to truly know if you are meeting requirements is a lux or par meter.  Outside of that it's just guessing, seeing how corals react.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I rented a full spectrum par meter from nextlight, was only $30 for 30 days. I liked knowing exactly what was going on in my tank 🙂

Thanks, Im looking into them. Unfortunately out of stock right now but will keep them in mind.

23 hours ago, CarlosM said:

Thanks, Im looking into them. Unfortunately out of stock right now but will keep them in mind.

You might be able to source a PAR meter from a local university or college, if you're curious enough to start contacting people randomly.