inTank Media Baskets

diatom-eating invert

sr2z

Hello, another question:

I'm facing a really big diatom outbreak. My trochus and tectus are doing a good job, but they only eat those on the rockwork and glass. The sandbed is just awfull. I know I can vacuum it out but I was wondering if there is some kind of invert which would eat those pesky diatoms on the sandbed. Thanks

Make very sure your source water isn't the cause, because it will never end if you are using bad source water in your water changes. Then what you can do if your CUC isn't touching it is actually just stir the sand at lights out to reveal the nice clean sand underneath. Do that daily at lights out if the diatom-y sand is bothering you and you can still enjoy the clear water during the day so its not all cloudy once you've stirred. 

• Like 1

Tell us more....usually diatoms come and go on their own in a brand new tank. 

They are somewhat unique in requiring silicates to form their "skeleton", and they tend to use up the whole supply in one bloom.   

If they really are diatoms and they aren't going away, there's a reason for it that needs to be figured out.

Can you tell us how old the tank is?  A pic of the algae would be useful.  Also all your recent test results...especially nitrates and phosphates.  Light levels would also possibly help if you can get a lux meter (LX-1010B is what I use...inexpensive) or a lux meter app (free) or PAR meter.

Cerith snails are good. They generally stay in the sandbed. They eat diatoms and turn the substrate a bit. mcarroll is right though, the diatoms are likely a symptom, not the root problem.

• Like 1