Top Shelf Aquatics

5 Gallon nano reef tank

D4rkAngel

Ya that should be good.

I run the aqueon 600 in my 5.5

I have strong flow in my tank and it's all I run.

If you need more you can always add a small powerhead like the hydor pico evo. 

I like using  filter floss, carbon, and purigen.

Floss and chemipure is good too.

You could do the media basket in the first chamber, then a mini fuge with chaeto, then the pump chamber.

If you aren't doing an ato, then the heater will need to go in the second chamber. 

I think the 600 will fit perfectly because the 1000 is too large.

The powerhead i have is a Fluval CP1 , specs below.

For the auto top off, i don't have one for now but I'm planning having one.

Why should i put the heater in the second chamber with the chaeto instead of the last one with the pump if not having a ato ?

image.png.70a60856e9db734d824c036624fdcefa.png

Fluval CP1:

image.png.e8dd631d79af23fcd503f178e3d3f1f9.png
image.png.e7f99889eeedad952160ddf73aea222d.png

• 1 month later...

So, i took a break of that project but now i'm back on.

I did the media basket and a guy at the LFS told me to put some life bio fil instead of chaeto ?
Like Floss and chemi-pure in the right chamber and life bio fil in the middle one.

I was about to buy a Auto top off and I'm not sure between the, Kamoer ATO One SE or the Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152, any recommendation ?

image.png.6015aa4ece988b2394adb9ec4b314805.png

image.thumb.png.9f3c6c30d079c3edf28c2e89155592ff.png

The only safe way to run a heater in the chamber with the pump is with an ato.

If not, the heater becomes exposed to air as evaporation occurs and that can cause it to smoke, crack, or burst.

Wouldn't it be ok to run the heater in the first chamber because of the intakes at the bottom?

The water level in that chamber to be the same water level as the tank unless the bottom inlets were blocked somehow. 

I use IM's hydrofill system complete with IM's hydrofill diaphram pump as my ATO. 

It works well. I just wish it was an optical sensor instead of probes that checked water level, but so far it has run stable.  

The diaphram pump is a bit loud compared to a DC pump, but it self primes, and can draw water as low as your tubing is placed in your reservoir. 

Both have optical sensor but the Kamoer comes with a float sensor and an optical sensor and is cheaper, and the Tunze Nano come only with one optical and have a higher price.