Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shrimp serial killer.....

ccejka

I have had 2 shrimp die in my tank....

First was a cleaner shrimp. He was in the tank for 2 months was eating and acting normal then came into work and he was almost in 2 pieces.

Then today I came in and my Mathews Shrimp was curled up and gone.

I preformed tests after the first ammonia 0 nitrate less than 1 ppm salinity 1.024 temp 77 (noted them in my log) 

Yesterday I added a new Royal Gramma and tested water Nitrate 5 - 10ppm salinity 1.025 temp 77.6 but my phosphates were like 2 ppm. 

I haven't had and issue with phosphates before but I had a skimmer run over one night and dump the skimmate in the sump. So I assumed that this caused my levels to spike. I plan to do water tomorrow and test the water.

Would the phosphates kill the shrimp without much affect on the life? The rest seem fine but I am rookie so who knows.

I have found shrimp to be pretty sensitive to swings in temperature and salinity.  I’ve had a few different types over time and most recently a pair of cleaner shrimp that I’ve had for a long time.  I think stability of those 2 parameters is key.  Some people will also likely tell you that iodine levels are very important so they can molt regularly.  Personally, I have never tested, dosed or monitored for iodine.

12 minutes ago, Poodges said:

What other fish/inverts do you have in your tank?

Clown, bang cardinal, watchman goby, and the Royal Gramma. 

2 turbo snails, 1 nassarius snail

You have to watch mixing shrimp. I know my cleaner didn't like my peppermint shrimps at all and would chase them relentlessly . He was 2 yrs old and huge when he disappeared never found a body I think my pistol shrimp got him or he jumped. Shrimps when they molt are easily injured and need a good place to hide{royal gramma}. Molts can go wrong. I add 2 drops of iodine a week  never lost a shrimp lately except too jumping aka carpet surfing.

77 -77.6 is a normal swing in temp. That's not large swings. 

How is your alk? Alk and ca helps with the shrimps shells so that could be a cause.

Our salts have iodine and other trace elements in them, regular waterchanges should be enough to replenish iodine.

Do lots of research on iodine dosing. It can be an issue and must be tested while dosing. the test kits are known to be unreliable.

Other livestock could do it. My clowns have never liked my shrimps. 

Different shrimps don't always mix well.

Sometimes molts go wrong. During this time they are also very delicate and at threat.

The biggest swing in temp I have noticed is 1.2 degrees. Have a temp controller on the way just to help a little bit. 

Alk is right around 9 and calcium has been kind of low around 360 to 380 ppm doing a little more frequent water changes to get it up around the 400 to 420. 

The clown is a fairly good size Dawrin Clown its say a few inches long. 

I had the cleaner shrimp then after he passed (rest his soul) I got the Pistol Shrimp. One thing I will say the cleaner shrimp did try to "clean" the clown a lot and then the Pistol Shrimp happened to dig under the rock that holds the shelf it hangs out under a lot. Could my clown have a taste for blood. 

So........I have discovered the source of my problem.......

Turn out the Mathews Shrimp molt is much more "solid" than my cleaner shrimp and I jumped straight to he was gone because he was under a different rock. He come out today during feeding and is good to go.

Man feel like a fool but it's better then having lost my shrimp.

• Like 1
On 2/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, mcarroll said:

I was just gonna say....

Glad you were wrong!  🙂 🙂 🙂

Not very often do I get to be happy for being wrong but this time it was nice!

• Like 1