Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diy chaeto reactor questions

ThatNewGuyReefing

ThatNewGuyReefing

Ok so i picked up a sea side aquatics media reactor for like $30 it's dimensions are 7.5in wide by 21in tall, so I'm looking at using this as a DIY chaeto reactor but don't quite know where to start. It's definitely large for my nuvo 10 but it will eventually be moved to my 20 tall. So my idea is to fill this with chaeto but have it be low flow so the chaeto has time to take up the nutrient like in a aquaponics system. Any recommendations on small pumps for the job? Don't want it to be too loud as the tank is in my living room. Also will copepods colonize it because it's such a large area?

I built something similar out of a large whole house filter.  I used a cobalt powerhead and some 1/2” push connectors and 1/2” tubing.  It works for me and is fairly low flow.  It’s quiet but I had to superglue the impeller to the shaft to make it completely silent.  If you went this route I’d recommend doing that from the start.  

My tank is young so the chaeto is growing slowly. 

79ADE479-D85D-49BD-8A7F-14F27C08E280.jpeg

2D81328A-CA63-42D3-A898-FD7989236B9F.jpeg

Oh, as for the copepods, when I added them to my tank they did colonize in there but mine have died off as far as I can tell. But if they are thriving in your tank I’d think they would thrive in there.  

I built mine from an AquaMaxx media reactor, a Sicce Micra Plus 158gph pump, and 4:1 red/blue grow lights from Amazon. I chose to keep the flow rate lower as I have my reactor right off the back of the tank, so minimal head pressure to contend with. Yes there are pods that made it there, but the goal of the reactor is No3/P04 export, not a Refugium.

Here is day one and day 25 photos:

45973973095_6463fda6f8_c.jpg

39968793733_4c79cb55b0_c.jpg