Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bofo's Lifeguard Aquatics 10g

bofo

First off, the tank is a bit less than 10 gallons. It's 12.21″ x 8.66″ x 9.06″ with a back panel. I consider it a 10 for all intents and purposes xD

Also, sorry if anyone got excited thinking this was one of those slanted "full-view" boxes from Lifeguard! It's a rectangle, but with super nice glass and 45 degree trims at the angles. Loving it 🙂

Ugly Rock and Sand Cycle Shot with Nitrate Test Photobomb

Spoiler

30301755-D7AC-4142-BC19-98119C1AC5EA.thumb.jpeg.1e4ddbbe86560944d55edb9cd2c6a80b.jpeg

First time cycling from dry rock and sand!! Well, not fully.

Background on the rock/sand:

Spoiler

It sat for some time, three months-ish, in a plastic bin. Bin had a couple of pieces of cured/live rock and a bunch of dry rock. I had an airstone going, topped the bin off once in a while, and dosed ammonia. Also added Aquavitro seed here and there, nothing exact, just kinda eyeballed. It sat in a somewhat warm part of the house but didn't have a heater.

Treating the rock and sand as though they were fully dry off the shelf, even though they might've grown some Bacs. Either way, dosed ammonia, Adding Aquavitro seed per instruction for about a week now, added a heater, and the tank is indeed slow-cycling 🙂

What's in the back panel?

Spoiler

Right now, some bioballs, a sponge, a heater, stock pump, and that's it! I think the bioballs are decent, but I feel as though tbey would work better with water from an overflow actually draining over them... Right now, I kinda am emulating that with the first chamber in the back (water only drains from the top). However, I would like to rethink the whole first chamber. I will probably do a nylon bag of Seachem Matrix at the bottom, with some kind of floss above it for the water to fall through initially.

This leaves three modular-type chambers culminating in the "return" chamber. Will the heater in one of them, and would really very much like a skimmer in the other... this is where I need reccomendations...

Leaving this outside spoiler, probably an oft-asked question: Skimmer for a limited-space all-in-one? Will go in constant-water-level chamber, but needs to be small. Thanks 🙂

OK Bo, so how are you gonna make this into a nano reef?

Spoiler

Here's where I am a bit ambitious. Obviously will need solid lighting. I actually appreciate how the tank didn't come with lights. This way I can pick out some nice LED's to mount. I will spare you all questions that have already been answered, but, does anyone have personal success stories with particular LED's with a tank like this? Thanks 🙂

So, flow... The stock pump is actually half-decent. I suppose I could add a small powerhead, but it's a rimless tank... just imagine the splashing... yeesh. I'm gonna simply put in the largest Slyce pump that will actually fit in the return chamber. I'm eyeing the one that's just a size up from the one they market as a "nano" pump. It'll have adjustable flow and I'll fit one of those water.. spreader.... broom... things? On the end of the return. Not sure what they're called. A little finagling will be necessary, but I feel this is my best option for keeping things elegantly hidden 🙂 It's why I picked out the tank, after all, super nice glass aside.

Also I'll keep the tank lid-less, probably will go for netting depending on what will look nice with a light mounted.

These are my loose plans so far! Plenty of time to think about it as I'm slow-cycling.

So yeah, this is a fresh new journal. Only posting before anything interesting is added just in case somebody out there has this tank or one similar and can direct me to some inspirational eye candy. Thanks y'all!

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Congrats on your new nano reef @bofo! I saw these new Lifegard Aquatics systems at MACNA last year, they're really slick looking.

If it were my tank, I would remove the bioballs in the back, the live rock and live sand will provide enough surface area for biological filtration. With bioballs in the back chamber of a reef tank, there is a chance of detritus build up over time which would lead to future issues.

If you decide to upgrade the return pump instead of adding another circulation pump, you might consider adding a random flow generating nozzle from VCA: https://vividcreativeaquatics.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Congrats on your new nano reef @bofo! I saw these new Lifegard Aquatics systems at MACNA last year, they're really slick looking.

If it were my tank, I would remove the bioballs in the back, the live rock and live sand will provide enough surface area for biological filtration. With bioballs in the back chamber of a reef tank, there is a chance of detritus build up over time which would lead to future issues.

If you decide to upgrade the return pump instead of adding another circulation pump, you might consider adding a random flow generating nozzle from VCA: https://vividcreativeaquatics.com

Yep I'm happy to have a new, sleek designer nano to build on 🙂

Thanks for the bioball tip, I'm all but set on removing them. What do you think of Seachem Matrix? I know it theoretically can house some de-nitrifying bacteria, which is why I'm drawn to it. Not copping out of maintenance of course, just think it could be cool having some backbone in place for nitrates. I might just have no biomedia and use floss with a sort of settling chamber.

Regarding the VCA nozzle, never even heard of it!! It's worth a shot for sure! Thanks for telling me about them 🙂 I'll order one soon if I can't find something in-person.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
16 minutes ago, bofo said:

Thanks for the bioball tip, I'm all but set on removing them. What do you think of Seachem Matrix? I know it theoretically can house some de-nitrifying bacteria, which is why I'm drawn to it. Not copping out of maintenance of course, just think it could be cool having some backbone in place for nitrates. I might just have no biomedia and use floss with a sort of settling chamber.

Seachem Matrix is probably a better option than plastic bioballs, but ultimately I think it will be redundant to your sand and rock where there's plenty of surface area for denitrifying bacteria. If you decide on using the Matrix media, it's best to keep it in a nylon bag that can be rinsed clear of any debris or detritus in the future.

I'm trying to remember the back chamber layout of your tank. You might be able to use the bioball area as a space to grow macro algae, if you add a small light to the back side glass. Search for 'all-in-one refugium chamber' and you should find some ideas if that interests you. 🙂 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Seachem Matrix is probably a better option than plastic bioballs, but ultimately I think it will be redundant to your sand and rock where there's plenty of surface area for denitrifying bacteria. If you decide on using the Matrix media, it's best to keep it in a nylon bag that can be rinsed clear of any debris or detritus in the future.

I'm trying to remember the back chamber layout of your tank. You might be able to use the bioball area as a space to grow macro algae, if you add a small light to the back side glass. Search for 'all-in-one refugium chamber' and you should find some ideas if that interests you. 🙂 

Thanks 🙂 all helpful stuff to think about. I'll start with the rock-and-sand cycle anyway! Too early to tell if I'll even "need" some additional media!

• 1 month later...

Am considering get a Lifeguard Aquatics tank.  Not necessarily the specific one you have though so generally are you impressed with the build quality?