inTank Media Baskets

What Brand Test kits are you using

hotdrop

Having looked through multiple forum posts here and in other places it seems like every manufacture has at least one test kit formulation that isnt super great and they occasionally get updated for either better or worse.  Im curious what people here are currently using especially people who have gone the mix and match route.

Aquarium Care Center

In the shop we use a hanna spectrophotometer, it's extremely reliable and accurate. Our service team uses both Hanna Checkers and Red Sea test kits on the road, and we always have Salifert as a back up. I hope that doesn't over complicate things for you.. I will say that results are pretty much the same throughout all the the kits I listed, we don't really find any of these to be more accurate than the other - they're all great. 

I used API test kits but they are not that great for several reasons:

• The ammonia always reads above 0 ppm for no reason.
  • The 5 ml marks on the test tubes are not actually 5 ml. One test tube has the line at 4.5 ml and another is at barely 4 ml. This leads to inconsistencies in testing. 
  • The less reagent left in the bottle, the more inaccurate they seem to get.
  • I found the colours for certain things hard to read also.

I started using Salifert and it seems to be more accurate and easier to use IMO. People also say good things about Red Sea's tests now. 

Red Sea for:

calcium

magneseum

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

pH

Hanna checker:

Alkalinity

Low range phosphate

copper

refractometer from BRS. 

APEX for temp and PH probe

temp calibrated from a ceriified thermometer from BRS.  

API for all my fresh water tanks. 

2 hours ago, Aquarium Care Center said:

In the shop we use a hanna spectrophotometer, it's extremely reliable and accurate. Our service team uses both Hanna Checkers and Red Sea test kits on the road, and we always have Salifert as a back up. I hope that doesn't over complicate things for you.. I will say that results are pretty much the same throughout all the the kits I listed, we don't really find any of these to be more accurate than the other - they're all great. 

^I would be interested in knowing what spectrophotometer you're using? Could you post a link possibly?

Thank you for the help!

-D

None of them are perfect.

They all have issues, positive and negative reviews.

I use

Salifert or hanna for alk

Salifert or red sea for ca and mag

Api for ammonia and nitrate