Innovative Marine Aquariums

Attaching Green leather Nepthea

Crjdriver

Hello Everyone

I am new here and this is my first post, I need some advice please, I just picked up a Green leather nepthea yesterday at the lfs, it's about 4 inches tall and was in the display tank sand with no frag attachment, this place is new and I am pretty sure it was just placed a couple of days ago. I put it in my tank sand but over time it sways to one side and tips over. Does any one have any suggestions on attaching it somehow. I have some picks of my red sea nano 20 max.

Thanks in advance.

20190127_094620.jpg

• Like 1

I had my toadstool come off my rock. First I tried an elastic, but it seemed to crease my guy down the middle.  I was told to sew it on.  So I took a needle and thread and went through the base of it, about 1/4" up.  I did it with 2 threads, and tied it to a rock.  when It attatched itself I cut the thread.

Nice looking tank by the way!

• Like 3

Now that I look closer, your coral is a lot more top heavy then mine was.  Not sure if it did start to fall over, if the thread would rip out.  Maybe do more then 2?  Maybe someone else will chime in.

Tiring it down to a rock with a reef safe material works, using an elastic works as well. The key is to not tighten any material, just lightly tie it down. It will attach itself to the rock within a week or so.

The other method is sewing it down.

Glue will not work on a soft coral.

Check out YouTube videos on the process. 

A proven method for me is to cut the bottom of a regular water bottle, depending on the height of your coral and puncture holes (from inside to out to avoid sharp edges hitting the coral) around and at the bottom. I would place the rock of your choice inside then the coral on top. If you want the coral to attach to the middle of the rock, place some rubble around it to prop it up and ensure its in the middle.  I have mounted sinularias and Kenya trees with this method and works every time.  Nice tank, btw. Good luck!

• Like 1