Pod Your Reef

BTA Lighting

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I have 2 different lights on my tank, I have a Fluval sky that I bought just a little while ago, and I have a Aqueon led strip. I was told that if they were both put together in my tank, then it would be enough for my BTA. At first he was doing fine, but then he kept moving and decided to hide almost under one of my rocks. Is it bc he is getting too much lighting, or is it bc he isn’t getting enough? He used to be all big and puffy, his tentacles used to be really puffy, but now he is really puffed out like he is supposed to, but his tentacles are really short and skinny? I don’t have too much experience with one and wanted nanos input. I just got him like 2 weeks ago.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This is what he looked like when I got him.

8F34AE22-43A8-4985-99B7-7CC71EA9A318.jpeg

This is kinda what he looks like at time, mainly during the evening

2F248F0A-CB1F-4C1C-803E-8D6831462FE3.png

He’s a very small nem too

Need a lot more information to venture a guess. BTA’s can be super easy in a well established tank. I have two rainbows and a red in my 90. Up until this week I also had a green. The geeen decided to go on a walkabout two weeks ago, went into my overflow three times, split and then tried to crawl onto the foam cover of an mp-40. It did not end well for the men.

How long has the tank been set up?

How long out of its cycle?

What are your water parameters, specifically nitrate, phosphate, ammonia, kh, salinity and how is it checked, temperature.

Do any of these fluctuate?

How is your water topped off and how often? 

Did you feed it and if so, what? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I use a hydrometer and it’s right where it’s supposed to be. I can’t remember exactly where it is, all I know is that it’s where it is supposed to be. My nitrate is near 0, maybe a little bit above. I’ll have to check phosphate later, temp is 80, salinity sometimes fluctuates when water evaporates, but not very much. I fed it frozen mysis half a week ago. I tried to feed it last night, but it wouldn’t grab onto the food. 

I’ll try to give you better readings tonight.

• 2 weeks later...