Cultivated Reef

Loooong zoa stalks?

Pezking182

1 minute ago, Pezking182 said:

Anyone else zoas have long stalks like this? Will they fill themselves in as they grow? I always see these nice compact zoas. 

20190122_195903.jpg

20190122_200031.jpg

How’s your light? They could be “reaching”. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Prime hd using pirates setting. Zoas are sitting in middle of standard 29gal.

Most common cause is the need for light.

I currently have 2 batches of zoas(exact same ones) the ones off to the side in low light have no long stalks and are spreading.

The ones in direct light have long stalks and are also spreading.

So, not too sure if its 100% a necessary sign of light being needed.

If your tank is deep, it might be they need to be moved up a bit. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I do for sure, some over a couple inches.  It does fill out though once fully awake. These are years old though.   The second has some long ones as well, but they do keep a bit of separation when fully open. All are fully open in 3rd pic.

20190120_200306.jpg

20190130_102645.jpg

20190123_115215.jpg

On 1/22/2019 at 8:11 PM, WV Reefer said:

On 1/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, Pezking182 said:

Prime hd using pirates setting. Zoas are sitting in middle of standard 29gal.

That only says what color your light is, which really isn't so important.  (Assuming you set the color and leave it as-is.)

What is the intensity like?   You need some form of light meter to tell.    You can try a free lux meter app, a handheld lux meter or a PAR meter if you have access to one.

Lots of apps to choose from; not all may be compatible with your phone's camera so readings may be weird....test it.   Post a question or try another app if you get weird results.

Handheld lux meters only cost from $7-$20 on the low end.....this is my recommendation.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:37 AM, JohnMzreef said:

Same thing with mine - not convinced that its lighting..  In fact moving them up seems to trigger melting..

Does your tank have available nitrates and phospates or instead are those levels near-zero?

When my light broke, I put a par38 over my tank and all my zoa's stretched like crazy!! As soon as I got a new light and things sorted out, they shrank back down.

For me, it has always been a light issue but that is not to say something else couldn't cause the same problem.

Some types of palys seem to be more prone to stretching than others. Armor of god is a big offender. 

• 4 years later...
r33fjunkie

I know this is an old post but stalks have to do with FLOW. Petals have to do with LIGHT. They are not reaching. They are reaching if the petals around the zoa center are facing upward. If a zoa wants more light, it will lift the petals upward. If they are getting enough light, they will stay flush with the center. If they get too much light, they look like umbrellas. The flow is what makes them long. If the flow is not strong enough, zoas are more comfortable to grow. If the flow is strong, the zoas will hide, hence, shrink down. I blast mine that start to grow long. After a while, they shrink down. So just remember, stalks = flow, petals = light. Hope you solved this!

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
On 2/6/2019 at 7:13 PM, mcarroll said:

Does your tank have available nitrates and phospates or instead are those levels near-zero?

ayyyy mcarroll's consistent theme of blaming every problem imaginable on N and P

op, if color and growth is good, just leave them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1