Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BTA and lighting

Austintylerl

about 4 months ago I received a great dark red BTA. Its been pretty happy changing positions every few weeks. All of the locations are at the top of the water on the glass. Should I assume it is searching for more light? Its two Primes over a 20 gallon running blues in 80-90s. UV at 60% max.

What do you think?

That is usually a nem looking for a different spot. They would stretch if they just needed more light. I would first attempts less light and less flow if possible.

• Like 1

A nem frequently moving means it's not happy with its locations.

It would stretch to the light and if it wanted more light it would most likely find a spot up top and stay there.

It may be looking for less light or  less/more flow

2 primes on a 20g is enough light. 

19 minutes ago, Austintylerl said:

Thats shy im confused. It has been at the water level for a few months which makes me think it wants more light. 

If it's stayed in that area, that's where it wants to be.

I understand BTAs move to find a spot they like. In fact its not uncommon for them to move on a regular basis. My question was in regard to lighting. Since it is at the top of the aquarium, at the waters surface is it looking for more light?

8 minutes ago, Austintylerl said:

I understand BTAs move to find a spot they like. In fact its not uncommon for them to move on a regular basis. My question was in regard to lighting. Since it is at the top of the aquarium, at the waters surface is it looking for more light?

There's too many variables to know 100% why its moving to that area.

Some move to crevices behind rocks, some move to the front of glass.

2 primes on a 20g is plenty of light.

4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

One prime would be enough to keep a bta.  Is it possible it's trying to get an angle out of the light at the top?   Not sure what the setup looks like but they are ok with lower light if you feed them enough.  Some corners near the water level in my tank have less par due to angles.  

4 hours ago, 4Swanson2Reefer0N00b said:

One prime would be enough to keep a bta.  Is it possible it's trying to get an angle out of the light at the top?   Not sure what the setup looks like but they are ok with lower light if you feed them enough.  Some corners near the water level in my tank have less par due to angles.  

That's another point. It could be trying to get away from light

4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

TBH I only use a stock fluval evo light which I know ranges from 12000-15000k.  White and blue.  No settings.  Just on or off.  My bta has split twice since I got it in June.  What I'm trying to say is I believe my light probably is much weaker than the prime and my bta is lit!  Feed them lots and they settle in is my experience

• 2 weeks later...

As others said we need more info.

What are your test results like?  Especially nitrates and phosphates?  Other test results may be interesting as well, so post all you have.

A full tank pic that shows your flow and lighting setups would also be helpful.

Thanks!