Top Shelf Aquatics

Is it an SPS? Is it alive?

BlackSumbel

I got a "Mixed coral frag rock" at the LFS for $5 under the advise that the "zoos are nice and there's some small clove polyps on the back." M'kay, says I. I buy zee rock. I mentally pat myself on the back for getting two minty green zoos and some cool purple clove polyps.

I get zee rock home and I realize that the rock is not a rock at all, it's rust-coloured and producing slime. CRAP.

I put the frag in the tank and it begins producing tiny bumps all over it. These tiny bumps suddenly become tiny tentacles. And yet more small bumps emerge at the center of the honey-comb like structure. "That is an SPS." says Sumbel. "f**k!" X)

So, here are two photos that are nearly alike, ID it if you can from the wretched photo. It's an over all rust-sheen over a yellow, with a green sheen on top of that.

coral2.jpg

. coral1.jpg

Furthermore, if it is an SPS, should I make a point of finding it a new home, or will 2x20 daylight (1x15 actinic) over a 5.5 work for it?

:*( *beats head on the desk*

Thanks in advance for any help. NO more LFS shopping for Sumbel. Nonononono.

Do they look lik very tiny aiptasias, except that the tentacles are feathery like xenia?

My LFS has some of this encrusting in one of his tanks. I forget the name though.

So, yeah... it's both. It is an SPS, and it is Alive.

It's amazing. The polyps are extending and retracting rather normally. It's a lovelly rust with green sheen, and it's all fuzzy and cute.

The only question now is whether it'll live under my lighting.

2x20w PC Daylight and 1x15w Actinic. (over a standard 5.5gl tank)

I can easily double the daylight, if that'll help. If not, I suppose I need to find a new home for it. (zoos and all)

I guess I got it for a steal at $5 :blush:

ApocalypticSurf6

I had the same thing on my lr when I bought it, but mine was green I figured it was a type of open brain coral but the stuff it very dead, probably because when I got the lr I didn't have my light on it yet

BY THE DESCRIPTION, IT SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE A MONTIPORA AGRECIA? CRASSITUBERCULATA? , OR DANAE? a BETTER CLOSEUP WOULD HELP.

It would also help if I took off the damn caps before I typed.

Archived