ReefCleaners.org

Finding a Pico/Nano AIO Tank in Canada

Coinee

I was looking to buy an AIO cube-type tank that's around 3 to 5ish. Something that stays in the pico-ish range, ideally. I would consider a Fluval Spec V but they are too thin! I like the aesthetic of the cube-ish shaped ones with curved edges more anyway. There are plenty available in the USA but there seems to be a real lack of decent quality ones in Canada.

Anyone have any suggestions for ones available in Canada? I saw the Marineland Contour 3 but there are a lot of problems that I've been reading about the back compartment being hard to clean, trapping stuff or just being poor filtration. The 5 gallon version of the Contour is just a weird dimension and I don't like it. If they sold imagitariums here, this thread would probably not exist heh.

I know I could buy a tank and make it into an AIO but I don't have a saw and I don't want to have to construct something (I live in an apartment).

Check out the Lifegard Aquatics 4.14 Gallon and Waterbox 4 gallon. They're both tiny AIO tanks. You could probably find a retailer that can ship to Canada.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Gourami Swami said:

You guys have Petco? The imagitarium 3.7 and 6.8 are both very nice little AIO tanks. Cheap, too.

No petco here, I mentioned it in the post!

No petco in Cda.

Petsmart.

Most US stores won't ship aquariums and the cost of shipping from US and the duties would cost a lot.

Never seen a Waterbox in Cda.

The fluval tanks are fine. The glass is thinner because it's a smaller tank. 

Angelfins.ca might have something

Gourami Swami

PetSmart 5gal aio https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-5-gallon-glass-aquarium-27504.html

2.5 gal https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-2.5-gal-retreat-aquarium-38318.html

I haven't seen these in real life, look like the back chamber may be a little small, but hey they are AIO's and cheap.

Does amazon not ship to Canada? Plenty of AIO's on amazon

2 minutes ago, Gourami Swami said:

PetSmart 5gal aio https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-5-gallon-glass-aquarium-27504.html

2.5 gal https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-2.5-gal-retreat-aquarium-38318.html

I haven't seen these in real life, look like the back chamber may be a little small, but hey they are AIO's and cheap.

Amazon does ship some tanks to Canada, however the price of shipping exceeds $65 for a small tank. I wouldn't trust it to get here in one piece either. I may look around to see if someone is selling something used too. 

Thanks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gourami Swami said:

Amazon canada doesn't have as much as the US and not all items are available to be shipped and when they are it's a ridiculous price.

I had that topfin tank, I would not recommend it.

I have the fluval spec, that's a nice tank.

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Amazon canada doesn't have as much as the US and not all items are available to be shipped and when they are it's a ridiculous price.

I had that topfin tank, I would not recommend it.

I have the fluval spec, that's a nice tank.

I already have a fluval spec 5 in a box in my room that I haven't used. Was gonna use it for freshwater but I thought about selling it. Maybe if I can break my liverock to fit better into the spec 5, I may do it. Hmm. But I'd have to find a new stand to place it on.

just a thought...it's  bit bigger, but you can get a IM Nuvo 10 AiO for about $130 CAD or so. if you're certain you can't go bigger than 5gal, look at the Fluval Evo or their Spec (will need some adapting for SW use) series.  :) 

15 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I wonder what the cost would be for me to ship to you

39102260-2497-4C1E-9B3D-569636738759.jpeg

On average it seems shipping from the USA is about $60-75 CAD, which is quite a dent. I have a Fluval Spec 5 that I'm probably going to use if I find nice rock that fits it.  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Friendly said:

just a thought...it's  bit bigger, but you can get a IM Nuvo 10 AiO for about $130 CAD or so. if you're certain you can't go bigger than 5gal, look at the Fluval Evo or their Spec (will need some adapting for SW use) series.  :) 

It would need to be smaller since I am not supposed to TRULY have an aquarium in my apartment just merely I am permitted on the acknowledged basis that it is ~5 gallons or less. I could go beyond that but insurance wouldn't cover damages if it leaked or something. When I move, I'll probably get 20 gallon or so.

btw, did you look into what it would cost for insurance to cover a tank larger than 5 gallons? when I lived in an apartment and looked into it, there were no size restrictions, I was covered or I wasn't. perhaps you might want to shop around your insurance? if it only costs a few dollars more, maybe it's worth switching companies?

I say this, as there are lots of nifty tanks out there, AiO or just a tank...and if you have a dedicated stand, you could create a small sump and have an even cleaner look.  🙂 

2 minutes ago, Friendly said:

btw, did you look into what it would cost for insurance to cover a tank larger than 5 gallons? when I lived in an apartment and looked into it, there were no size restrictions, I was covered or I wasn't. perhaps you might want to shop around your insurance? if it only costs a few dollars more, maybe it's worth switching companies?

I say this, as there are lots of nifty tanks out there, AiO or just a tank...and if you have a dedicated stand, you could create a small sump and have an even cleaner look.  🙂 

I may have misspoke when I typed or was unclear. The building owner has the rule of no pets on my lease, so my insurance company knows I have the no pet clause. However, if I keep an aquarium under 20L (with no vertebrates), it is considered an indoor domestic water container, and not a pet related thing. If I want to go larger, I would be required to notify the landlord in writing and get him to submit proof of amendment to the lease to allow an aquarium then resubmit the lease to the insurance company.  It's not really worth the hassle tbh. That is basically the gist of it. Also, it benefits me to remain small since I have limited space and I will probably move before the end of the year. And I will make sure my new apartment is reef-tank friendly!

I understand now...thanks for taking the time to clarify!

so then, I would look at a 5 gallon tank with a 5 gallon sump if the lease doesn't state a limit to how many domestic water containers you can have.  😉

it's been some times since I looked at the thread, but there's a guy who posted a 5 gallon sump made out of a bucket with a gamma lid. or if you've got the funds, check out the options from eShopps. 😄

4 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I understand now...thanks for taking the time to clarify!

so then, I would look at a 5 gallon tank with a 5 gallon sump if the lease doesn't state a limit to how many domestic water containers you can have.  😉

it's been some times since I looked at the thread, but there's a guy who posted a 5 gallon sump made out of a bucket with a gamma lid. or if you've got the funds, check out the options from eShopps. 😄

I'm actually not sure what they would consider 5 gallon tank and a sump to be. But probably since it is connected, it'll be 5 + X gallon domestic water container. But, hell, if I had a bucket, those things don't ever leak anyway, but I'd be worried about the tank overflowing. I am not gonna worry about a sump for now anyway. The only rule I wanna break is the "no fish" rule since I want a little goby!

then grab yourself the 5 gallon Fluval Evo or get yourself a 5 gallon tank that tickles your fancy and drop a HoB on it. I think inMedia makes filters for some of the most popular HoB's to give you the same AiO function, but have a full 5 gallons to your fish.

I dunno where in Canada you are...but check the pet sections on Kijiji and Craigslist, there are often great deals on people that want to get rid of gear.

I have a 5g spec with a bicolor blenny. Healthy fish and tank.

The only thing with the spec was I upgraded the pump and the light, added a media basket.

The evo comes with the light, so it's a good option.