ReefCleaners.org

Cycling Progress - Just want to make sure this is normal

RemoGaggi

This is my fluval edge 6 gallon.  The large brown pieces in the back are 3 pieces of live rock I got from the LFS.  The smaller non-brown rocks were dry rock I added a day or two after I got the tank going.  I started the tank last week on 1/8/19 - nine days ago.   Using my API test kit, ammonia has been 0 since for the last 4 days.  Nitrites have been steady at 50ppm.  The live rock has started turning brown, while the dry rock hasn't turned color at all.  I'm guessing the brown on the live rock is the diatom bloom starting?  

My plan is to wait for Nitrites to drop to zero and then get a couple of snails for my CUC.  I've read conflicting information about hermit crabs, so I'm not sure about getting one.  Thoughts?  or should I get a emerald crab?

Does everything sound and look normal so far?  Comments?

IMG_20190117_160307948.jpg

Do you mean niArates have been steady 50?? I dont even think nitrite tests read that high😉😏😊.. if you are waiting for the nitrates to go down well they wont unless you do a water change to remove them.. might want to read up a bit on the nitrogen cycle.. one more thing what kind of sand/gravel did you use??

Oh and welcome to nano reef!!

2 hours ago, Weikel said:

Do you mean niArates have been steady 50?? I dont even think nitrite tests read that high😉😏😊.. if you are waiting for the nitrates to go down well they wont unless you do a water change to remove them.. might want to read up a bit on the nitrogen cycle.. one more thing what kind of sand/gravel did you use??

Oh and welcome to nano reef!!

Oops.  I meant the Nitrites are .50ppm, not "50".  I've got crushed coral on the bottom.  I was originally going to get live sand, but my LFS talked me out of it.  I been reading a ton on the cycle, but I just wanted another set of eyeballs to tell me things look normal.  It's been about 30 years since I last has a saltwater tank, so I've forgotten everything and everything is pretty new to me again.  The last setup I had some 25-30 years ago was a 55 gallon with a U/G filter running with powerhead and a wet/dry filter with bio balls.  How times have changed.

9 minutes ago, RemoGaggi said:

Oops.  I meant the Nitrites are .50ppm, not "50".  I've got crushed coral on the bottom.  I was originally going to get live sand, but my LFS talked me out of it.  I been reading a ton on the cycle, but I just wanted another set of eyeballs to tell me things look normal.  It's been about 30 years since I last has a saltwater tank, so I've forgotten everything and everything is pretty new to me again.  The last setup I had some 25-30 years ago was a 55 gallon with a U/G filter running with powerhead and a wet/dry filter with bio balls.  How times have changed.

Ha that makes more sense! Ya I got back into the hobby about a year and half ago.. a lot of things changed since I had my last reef in 2000 ... or more likely just a lot more information that I have access too now has opened my eyes lol. As to the crushed coral bottom sometimes it's so course that it lets fish waste settle to the bottom easier( where you cant vacuum it out) and lead to nitrate problems so just try and keep it clean!!  Any who happy reefing and welcome back to the salty side ..😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, RemoGaggi said:

My plan is to wait for Nitrites to drop to zero and then get a couple of snails for my CUC.  I've read conflicting information about hermit crabs, so I'm not sure about getting one.  Thoughts?  or should I get a emerald crab?

My opinion is yes on a scarlet reef hermit and/or a dwarf blue leg hermit.  Get some extra shells of similar and larger size for them to try on.  While they could potentially kill a snail or two, they are interesting and effective members of a cleanup crew.

I'd probably pass on the emerald crab.  They can even go after small fish when large.  Sometimes an emerald crab is a good answer for specific algae problems, but I'd hold off for now.

10 hours ago, RemoGaggi said:

I was originally going to get live sand, but my LFS talked me out of it.

I agree with Weikel; while crushed coral can work, I feel that they steered you wrong.  You'll need a gravel vacuum and maintain it like you would a freshwater tank with gravel.  Most people eventually replace their crushed coral substrates with sand.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Seabass and Weikel for the input.  After I bought the crushed coral for startup, I had a feeling I should have stayed with the sand.  Is there a problem if I went and switched out the crushed coral for live sand now?  I'm thinking I can take out about half the water (about 2.5 gallons), put the live rock in the bucket in water.  Take out as much crush coral as I can and replace with the live sand, and then put the live rock back in?  I can add newly mixed saltwater instead of putting in the old water?  What do you think?

I think hermits are cool, you just don't need like 1 for every 2 gallons. I just got 3 blue legs, 1 scarlet reef and one halloween hermit. They're fun little guys to have. I was researching them also and these and dwarf zebra all seem like good choices for reef tanks.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, RemoGaggi said:

Is there a problem if I went and switched out the crushed coral for live sand now?

Nope.  It will be easier and less disruptive now than when you have livestock.

• Like 1

It's easier to switch out the crushed coral now then once the tank has livestock in it- theres less to move and be concerned of.

Easiest way

Rinse new sand really well, until it runs clear

Siphon water into buckets from tank

Then place rocks in 1 bucket

Siphon out crushed coral 

Add rocks back in, add new sand, add saved water back in.

• Thanks 1