Innovative Marine Aquariums

Full Mixed Reef Project - NUVO Fusion 20g - Going to need help!

Koby

Hello every, my name is Koby. I am new to Nano-Reef.com and some what new to the aquarium hobby. My dad used to have a 250g mixed Reef when I was younger, I would help him take care of it, water changes, clean the filter socks, and of course pick out the corals. I guess I didn’t fully understand what was going on with his tank because once I jump into it myself, my mind was blown with how much time and effort went into this hobby. I’m in love with the ocean and fish themselves. The biodiversity in a Reef is what really astonishes me, so I’m prepared to do what I need to do to take care of this tank. Sunday’s are tank days, water change and test the water, and any other extra things I need to do. 

I came here because a part of me knows I have no idea what I’m doing. I find myself having a question about the tank every single day, and I always end up back here. I was hoping you guys could help me with any questions I have and guide me to a full blown Reef tank. My all around goal is to have as much life/color in the tank as possible.

25F28922-4006-486F-A8C9-018746C8CCFD.thumb.jpeg.516e39ed51aa653a3efcc5871feefa11.jpeg

Equipment-

Light: Radion xr30 Pro

Powerhead: VorTech mp10

Return Pump: 2x Sicce Micra Plus 

Heater: Cobalt 75 Watt

ATO: Tunze (5g reservoir)

Filtration-

Two inTank media baskets, both hold filter floss in the first chamber. Gonna start running carbon in one and Purigen in the other. Need to find some sort of media to implement as well, open to any ideas. Always wanted to run a refugium, do you guys think they are worth it for nano tanks?

Animal Friends-

Pair of Picasso Clownfish

Tiger Pistole shrimp

Yellow Spotted Goby

3 or 4 Trochus snails

2 Red Legged Hermit crabs 

-Feeding Reef Frenzy Nano and Reef Roids

Question-

I have this leather,  fairly new to the tank, I’m not sure if it likes the constant flow of the VorTech. Should I pick it up and move it to red circle in the picture down below? 4C369413-18BC-4370-8994-F00650F850AD.thumb.jpeg.bfca88c8ccaf2c4a3c4884f5e1e7f451.jpeg88283EDD-CA42-46AC-A7E0-5BA694F75019.thumb.jpeg.8e8542cfe2a6cddb327e8f9473044501.jpeg

Hey, looks great. Digging the rock scape.

Your coral(s) will almost always show you if there is a certain spot they do not like.

That toadstool looks fully extended and happy, so I would keep it there.

IME, Toadys love med-high flow, some more direct than others.

Daniel

• Like 1

Welcome, I like the rock scape as well.  I've been in the hobby for a little over a year and went from 1 to 2 tanks 😉

My only suggestion (since this is YOUR first reef tank) would be start with LPS and softies before even thinking about SPS.  I can't imagine starting out in the hobby and going mixed (that's just me).  There's just so much to learn (and so much you can screw up and cost you a lot of money) that complicating it with SPS would drive me nuts.  Again just my 2 cents, plenty of people on this board have done it... not sure how they kept their sanity though.