Cultivated Reef

Clownfish stopped eating after suddenly acting erratic

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

My clownfish is in an established 2 year old reef tank....only 1 of two fish in the tank, a Red Sea Reefer 170.  she's about 1 year old.  ususally eats like a pig....LRS Reef Frenzy Nano

No new additions, no changes, parameters are rock solid.  

sHe hosts a large duncan colony...and stays in it all the time....and is doing so right now.

10 days ago I heard a large splash, and I saw the clownfish at top of the tank...she had jumped up and out of the tank a few inches, and then landed back in the tank....she then swam down to the bottom of the tank, but not back inside his duncan, which she never, ever leaves.  I watched her for about 10 minutes and she just sat there looking totally out of it...like she was totally stunned.  something was very off...reminded me of a bird hitting a window and sitting there half knocked out.

eventually, she swam back into duncan, but it was almost like she lucked into it.  My vibe was that she could not see all of a sudden or something...sometimes I still feel like that's the case.  Anyway...she's been back in the duncan ever since but she will not eat.....zero interest in food.  It's been about 10 days now.

again...no external signs of disease.  no new additions....nothing.  

could that leap have scared her into not eating?  the other fish is an aggressive royal gramma but they MOSTLY live peacefully....

i was thinking of pulling her out and putting him in QT and treating with API general cure, but i dont see ANY signs of anything.  i feel like why put her thru the stress.

i turn off pumps and blast food right at her with a syringe and she will barely look interested in it...VS. past behavior of voracious eating.

also, its not possible that she's grazing on live small creatures in the tank...because they're really not in the tank.

WDYT?

you can see her here...other than not eating at all, this is what she still acts like....

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe check for electricity/voltage in the tank?

On 1/14/2019 at 5:47 PM, burtbollinger said:

could that leap have scared her into not eating?  the other fish is an aggressive royal gramma but they MOSTLY live peacefully....

I think the RG is your answer.  The clown would only jump like that as an escape maneuver.

Could just be the ongoing stress keeping it from eating...that's all it takes.

Can you remove one or the other fish?

• 2 weeks later...

i think what might have happened is that she might have hit her head on something, my clown was acting the same way you’re describing. My clown ultimately had to be euthanized but my clown hit her head and acted way more eradically than your case. I think you should give her time but if she isn’t eating in another week I’d try to assist feed her, there are a handful of videos on YouTube. And your tank looks beautiful, I hope things work out.