SaltCritters.com

Coraltopia - The beginning !

Reefkid88

So as you all may knowing ( whomever follows my mumbled up mess of a thread for my 7g,2g other 2g tanks lol I have started a new build(ish). Its been a pretty slow process so far,but now that I have the tank and rock,I may as well start a thread. But I will just go ahead and dive straight into and give you the run down on what I have planned so far..

The Tank:

A AGA standard 5g tank ( 16"x8x"x10" ). Just a plain DIY (not so perfect) false wall ( 3.5" x 8" x 10") with all LifeGard Aquatics fitting which consist of 3/4" Bulkhead,Strainer and threaded 90 for the drain side and 1/2" stuff on the return side with 1/2" Loc-Line pieces for flow direction. The return pump is a Jebao DC650,which at the moment I find to be a little less flow that I am looking for but plan to either upgrade to a Jebao or CoralBox DC1000 or 1200 return pump. The scape is composed of about 5lb of TLF Stax Rocks. My thought on the rocks is that its amazing,the rocks were easy to break up and make the scape you really want. 

The Filtration:

I will be using a AquaClear 30 on the tank in the "sump" area. Strange I know but,there was only so many media reactors that wouldn't stick out of the top of the tank too much that were within my price range,so I decided on this. Also,it will keep a little flow in the sump area,and if I ever add a fuge,it can help move the material around. For media I am using Carbon,BWQ NO Cube Bio Media. I have some Chemi-Pure if ever need be. 

The Lighting:

I was able to get a super retro and awesome light from NanoCustoms from a fellow reefer,replaced the array with 2 also retro NanoBox Reef 11up boards that contain Ch1: 8 Luxeon ES Royal Blue's,4 Luxeon ES True Blue's,2 SemiLed 400-410nm Violets and 1 VioSys Hyper Violet. Ch2 is 4 Luxeon ES Warm Whites,4 Luxeon ES Neutral Whites,2 Cyan and 2 400-410nm Violets and 1 Luxeon C Mint all at 700mah on Thomas Research 700mah dimmable drivers. 

The ATO:

I will be using a CoralBox NS0 ATO with Kalk to keep everything good and rolling strong and stable. 

The Dosing:

Will be done manually,but eventually probably upgrading to a Jebao or whatever I can find for a decent price. But I will be using ESV B-Ionic once I see the need to do so. 

20190112_154937.jpg

20190106_192732.jpg

20181020_174714.jpg

20190105_230812.jpg

20181117_213408.jpg

20181026_183622.jpg

20181026_183608.jpg

20181026_183632.jpg

• Like 8
3 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Finally! Get some water in this thing!

Now now,I still need a few things lol. I need to choose which salt I'm going to use. I still need to get a ato,heater,ato container,salt and figure out how I am going to mount the light. 

46 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Woo hoo! Finally getting it up and running 🙂

It's going to be a little while,but I'm really in no rush. 

• Like 2

Doubt you'll need to worry about dosing on this, water changes will most likely be the best way to keep things stable!

Speaking of which, get some water in there!

• Like 1
On 1/15/2019 at 12:14 AM, YHSublime said:

Doubt you'll need to worry about dosing on this, water changes will most likely be the best way to keep things stable!

Speaking of which, get some water in there!

Me neither,but at the same time anything is possible. I will manually dose until I don't feel like keeping up anymore. I still need a heater and ATO then things will get wet. 

On 1/15/2019 at 12:27 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Your new 5 gallon system build is coming together so nicely, I'm glad to see you started a journal for it!

Thank you I appreciate it Chris,I hope it becomes everything I want it to be. 

• Like 1

Oh I did forget to mention,the guys over at BlueAcro are sending me a black 8up board and AcroStrip boards with a bunch of loose diodes to try out and try and make my own array. So I'm pretty excited about that. 

So since the tank will be ran as a penn style tank,I decided to spray the section of the tank everyone will see..but I'm stupid and sprayed it while it was sitting upright and a lot of paint ran..so I will have to scrape majority of it off and re-spray laying down. 

20190116_173056.jpg

35 minutes ago, thatguytom said:

Whats good my dude its been a minute. Build looks great!

Thank you bud,I tried to text you a few weeks ago but have like 5 numbers for you lol. 

32 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Thank you bud,I tried to text you a few weeks ago but have like 5 numbers for you lol. 

Lol. Sorry! I've had it changed a few times. the 531 number is correct if you've still got it. 

So I was supposed to have some blank boards and a bunch of loose diodes to play with from BlueAcro,but they supposedly delivered it but nothing was in the mailbox..go figure. So hopefully they show up tomorrow. 

I'm still trying to figure out which salt I want to go with,so far my choices are:

-BWA Neo Salt

-Fritz Pro

-RS Blue Bucket

-Tropic Marin

🤔

3 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

So I was supposed to have some blank boards and a bunch of loose diodes to play with from BlueAcro,but they supposedly delivered it but nothing was in the mailbox..go figure. So hopefully they show up tomorrow. 

I'm still trying to figure out which salt I want to go with,so far my choices are:

-BWA Neo Salt

-Fritz Pro

-RS Blue Bucket

-Tropic Marin

🤔

Hope they show up tomorrow.

Which salts have you used in the past?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

-BWA Neo Salt

-Fritz Pro

-RS Blue Bucket

-Tropic Marin

🤔

HAve you thought about using Live Aquaria pro?

1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Hope they show up tomorrow.

Which salts have you used in the past?

Who knows with the stupid USPS. I have used RSCP and AquaForest Reef Salt. I absolutely hated the AFRS,and I love the RSCP but alk was already really really high. I may try the RSBB. 

54 minutes ago, Zane W said:

HAve you thought about using Live Aquaria pro?

I have not,I haven't seen too many or really anybody use it. 

4 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Who knows with the stupid USPS. I have used RSCP and AquaForest Reef Salt. I absolutely hated the AFRS,and I love the RSCP but alk was already really really high. I may try the RSBB. 

I have not,I haven't seen too many or really anybody use it. 

I've had good results with it in the past except I got a batch that read wrong, but keeps reading up on your salts and finds what suits you best.

Yeah,it'll be awhile. I never know what I want. Most of my choices I can get locally so it helps,even though it took me almost a year to go thru a 55g bucket of RS back in the day lol. 

• Like 1

I just ordered the LAP salt for the 3rd time. So far I love how clean it mixes and the parameters as listed on the packaging are spot on. I get the smallest amount offered which is on sale right now. Was $24.99 now $17.99. A couple other members use it that's why I tried it.

• Like 1

I was talking with my fiance the other night and we both looked at one another said "ohhh snap our lease is up in 3 months !!!" !!! So,as for the moment the tank will more than likely be on hold until we find a new place,which sucks. Basically we lost track of time with the baby and all that good jazz. 

So for those who are following the build,things will be slower than expected,but I will still acquire parts and all that good stuff until I get to a point I can get everything running. So stay tuned. 

• 8 months later...
5 minutes ago, sean86114 said:

found your thread lol. I am following as well.. we have almost exactly rockwork with stax lol 

Well hopefully I don't let ya down !!!