Cultivated Reef

AI Prime HD for 24"X24"X24" cube

Muffin87

I want to switch to LEDs for my 16G cube, but I also want to upgrade to a 60G 24"X24"X24" cube in a while.

Ideally, I want to buy a light that can work for my 16G cube now, but also for my 60G cube later.

(Selling used lights won't work, the hobby is a very small niche here in Italy).

Will the AI Prime HD work on a 24"X24"X24" cube?

I've heard people talk about it on here, saying that there won't be enough light for corals at the bottom and at the edges of the tank.

I tend to keep loads of LPS on the sand bed, and I don't like a tank with no growth.

Should I get an Ecotech Radion or a Maxspect Ethereal instead? I'm a bit reluctant to buy an AI hydra 26, I heard many complained about warranty issues.

I worry that the maxspect ethereal will look ridiculously oversized on my current 16G cube!

Thanks a lot!

Prime is not enough for a 60 gal cube. Not enough Par.I have a Hydra 26 on my 60 cube and I want to add another. I have bta and some palys, a green plate and a orange plate at bottom of cube and there happy and growing now for a couple months.

• Like 1

Their specs on their site state 24x24 for the Prime HD  par levels is 100 at 24".

Depending on corals you plan on keeping, will depend on if the light is suitable.

Softies and lps- yes

High light sps- top of the tank.

43 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Their specs on their site state 24x24 for the Prime HD  par levels is 100 at 24".

Depending on corals you plan on keeping, will depend on if the light is suitable.

Softies and lps- yes

High light sps- top of the tank.

The par they quote is every channel at 100%, most people won't want to do this as the colour won't be what they want.

OP, go for a Hydra 26 or XR15

7 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

the colour won't be what they want.

Oh yeah, the major reason I'm upgrading is the colour. Pretty tired of my super white PL lights.

I was considering the XR15w G4 PRO, but then I read here that the MaxSpect Ethereal has

• one of the best $ per watt ratio on the market
  • better spread since the led clusters are further apart.

I guess with more coverage I can keep the LEDs at low intensity, and still keep LPS in the bottom corners? Would that work?

It will work for low light corals. Most online vendors keep their LPS under 80 PAR for best coloration so if you plan on keeping mostly softies/lps with a couple easy lower light SPS on top it will work. However, you will have to raise it around 14" and up the intensity a bit for best results.

I am very happy with the Hydra 26’s , I currently run them over both of my tanks. These are amazing fixtures and are very easy to set up and control. They will provide enough par to grow any coral in a 24” tank.

I had a prime on my 20” cube and had full coverage, but had to have it mounted higher then I wanted to achieve this. 

Based on my experiences, I would not recommend a prime for a 24” tank that had anything other than soft corals and low light demanding LPS. 

I have an AI prime HD over my 24"x20"x12". It is not enough quite frankly. It is mounted about 10" from the surface, but produces just enough shadowing at the edges of the corner. Raising the light causes me to raise intensities and lose the balance of PAR. I'd go with a hydra, but if you want to future proof yourself, go with a xr30 radion

I understand prime HDs don't come with a mount. Does the Hydra 26 come with a mount or I have to buy it separately? 

It's quite difficult to understand from the website.