inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish and anemone hosting help!

FishyTheManokit

FishyTheManokit

So I have a little ORA premium snowflake clownfish that I lovingly named Holli and she's been doing absolutely amazing, she's got an amazing personality. I also got a large green bubble tip anemone with the idea of them pairing, after a week of trying different methods I finally put the two in a breeding container earlier today and now she's showing signs of going in, did I finally do it?!

For the past hour she's been poking her head under the nem and on occasion darting in and out of it, shes also slowed down drastically (when I got her she was flying around the tank like there was no tomorrow)

I'd love to know what your opinions are ^~^

15469008292716007190117965065130.jpg

Chris's Fishes

Maybe. Maybe not.

Clowns will usually host what they want, IMO - my first pair used a colony of GSP instead of the torch I had for them. My current clown is hosting some macroalgae instead of the new BTA. The method that you're using can work, I just worry about the stress it can put on the clown and the anemone.

Forcing the two together in a small container *can* result in the clown getting harmed or eaten, in some cases - I'd expect you'd have already seen that happen by now though, so I think you're okay. If the anemone isn't spitting up any zooxanthellae, and the clown is acting normally, I'd leave them in there for another 24 hours. If it hasn't happened by then, your method isn't working and you should place everything back into the tank.

Usually, the clown nibbling on the anemone's tentacles, pushing it's face into the mouth of the anemone, swimming in and darting out of the tentacles, and even just sorta giving it a lot of attention are signs that the clown is considering the anemone as a host. If you're seeing that, what you're doing is working.

FishyTheManokit
1 hour ago, Fisker said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Clowns will usually host what they want, IMO - my first pair used a colony of GSP instead of the torch I had for them. My current clown is hosting some macroalgae instead of the new BTA. The method that you're using can work, I just worry about the stress it can put on the clown and the anemone.

Forcing the two together in a small container *can* result in the clown getting harmed or eaten, in some cases - I'd expect you'd have already seen that happen by now though, so I think you're okay. If the anemone isn't spitting up any zooxanthellae, and the clown is acting normally, I'd leave them in there for another 24 hours. If it hasn't happened by then, your method isn't working and you should place everything back into the tank.

Usually, the clown nibbling on the anemone's tentacles, pushing it's face into the mouth of the anemone, swimming in and darting out of the tentacles, and even just sorta giving it a lot of attention are signs that the clown is considering the anemone as a host. If you're seeing that, what you're doing is working.

Thanks for the help! I left them there overnight and in the morning they were happily together! Thankfully ^~^

• Like 1