SaltCritters.com

Injured Starfish?

GimpKing

Hi All, 

I woke up this morning and saw that my starfish looks like it has something growing out of it. 

I was wondering if it's injured or something? Any thoughts?

IMG20190106061355.jpg

IMG20190106061434.jpg

• Wow 1

How long have you had it for? They are notorious for dying rather quickly. I had one for 5 months and it seemed to be doing fine until one day it started disintegrating. Hopefully not what is happening to yours.

• Like 1

Here's another photo of whatever it is. Kinda looks like a snail she'll coming out. 

IMG_20190106_081407.jpg

Edited by GimpKing
Added more info
  • Wow 1
RayWhisperer

There are several species of snails that prey on starfish. Many attach as full size snails, some seem to bury themselves as juveniles then once they grow, they kinda burst out. There are limpets, too. However, one species has seems to match pretty closely to yours. Check out Parvioris fulvescence, it seems like a pretty close visual match. Beyond that, I can’t be sure of much.

This page shows quite a few different parasitic species.

http://echinoblog.blogspot.com/2014/06/p-is-for-parasitic-snail-enter-eulimidae.html

• Like 2

Thanks. This just fell out of it. Really creepy and looks like the one in that article.

IMG_20190106_091436.jpg

Edited by GimpKing
More info And typo
  • Wow 1
RayWhisperer

It’s certainly a parasitic snail. What species I can’t be positive. I also don’t know if it reproduces inside, or outside the host animal. Not just that, it’s also possible there are other individuals within the animal. Just keep an eye out and remove any you find ASAP just to be safe.

Crazy!!!! If it dies, I would not be in a hurry to replace it... I don't know of any that lasted a natural lifespan or even close in a nano tank. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...