SaltCritters.com

How hard is selling a tank?

If_Only

So ive just started my new Red Sea max 170... and I don't love it, ive headman problems, I also don't love the skimmer and hate the height of the tank, the onkly thing I like, well more like LOVE is the light. Basically I haven't really even finished the cycle, but how hard is it too really sell a tank, im thinking of getting a IM tank, I love there models ALOT more, I impulsively bought this tank after I saw a 15% sale... oops. But how hard would it be to sell this tank? Should I sell it with the rock and sand or without? it has really no damage, is it worth it or is it a hassle to sell the tank, Im in LA so there a lot of people who might take this tank off my hands... Thoughts? Is it worth it? any response would be MUCH appreciated.

It shouldn't be too difficult to sell it. 

I'd personally sell it dry.

Keep rocks and cycle in a bucket so I could just set up my new tank and have no cycle to wait through.

Keep the light of it can be used with the tank you want.

If you really don't like it, you may not enjoy the tank as much if you keep it. Go with what you really like.

Thrassian Atoll

You have the best chance I think to sell it without losing a ton on it.  It’s still a good selling tank I think and you have a great local market to sell it in.  Plus it’s new and most likely not scratched like crazy.  

Nows the best best time to sell though and buy what you want.  You don’t have any livestock invested yet.  You have to think about the equipment side too though like heaters, media baskets, skimmers, pumps if you bought any of that to fit in the Red Sea.  Will it also fit in the IM tank? 

Check out your local reef society. People are always looking for tanks and generally won’t rip off fellow reefers. You might even be able to do a swap.

austinmullis

sorry to hijack this thread but how hard is it to sell a tank full of livestock? i'm going to have to sell eventually once i move out, and i was wondering if i'd just be better off keeping my tank fowlr as i live in a pretty rural area with no major market for it.

3 minutes ago, austinmullis said:

sorry to hijack this thread but how hard is it to sell a tank full of livestock? i'm going to have to sell eventually once i move out, and i was wondering if i'd just be better off keeping my tank fowlr as i live in a pretty rural area with no major market for it.

I know Im the one who asked the question, but if your just looking to get rid of it, instead of get a good amount of money back, you could trade your livestock and tank for store credit at your LFS.

3 hours ago, austinmullis said:

Yeah ive done that before. My LFS isn't exactly local and they kinda ripped me off last time.

Ahhh, yeah that kinda sucks...

• 1 month later...