Cultivated Reef

Red cap coral questions

Noobreefer90

Noobreefer90

Ok so I’ve been looking at my lfs at some small frags of red cap and was thinking about adding a frag to my tank.   Was wondering if this are would be a good sport a lot of the corals have been moved to different spot now that spot is empty 261A5F3A-605C-4A95-99CA-31B765BAA285.thumb.jpeg.64585e7c3356f14ebc6484c449258223.jpeg

What size aquarium and what light do you have on it?

Montipora caps can generally take lower light than other SPS, and so it can be put lower in the tank if you desire. Not sure if it will affect it's colour or not though. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that. 

One thing you'll want to consider is that as the cap grows, it will shade whatever is under it. So you may either want to plan for low light corals under it, or keep the cap lower so that it doesn't affect a huge area.

Noobreefer90

Well the lighting I have on the tank isn’t truly big enough for my tank but the corals I have now seem to be likening it. Got the light for my 14g biocube but moved to this 36g bowfront right after 

HIPARGERO LED Aquarium Light – Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control and 3W Cree Chips for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank

i will post a new pic of my tank in a few when my Duncan coral gets done pooping and comes out 😊

how long has the tank been running? And do you test your alkalinity, calcium, magnesium? If so, what are your levels? 

I don't have any experience with Kenya trees but I heard they're fairly easy. Just gotta give them good flow and lighting. But I believe they also propagate a lot and so it can become a hassle later, if you end up with a bunch of kenya trees everywhere