Top Shelf Aquatics

Opinions on new set up

Brianr24

I received my waterbox 15g today. Seems very nice. Two slight disappointments which shouldn’t be too bad.

1rst is the pump which I kind of expected to be upgraded anyway. I thought it came with a siccce but instead it’s a aquatop 360 (reviews iv seen aren’t too good) not sure if it’s worth even trying or just save myself some hassle and upgrade maybe use this one for water changes or a spare.

2nd is I planned on putting a fuge in middle compartment of sump but the back glass is black and from what I can tell it’s smoked glass I’m not positive I have to get a better look.  ( I threw a disk in my back so I’m not really getting too involved yet)

so if I can’t scrape it to clear for a light my other option is to cut out a section of the stand Under the middle sump department. I’m custom building the stand anyway. Not sure if I want to create a void in flat bottom tank tho. I know the old style tanks with bracing really only need corners support. Not sure about these. 

Any opinions and or pump options  are welcome. The sump width is 3 1/8 

thank you

Sorry to hear about your back.  I suffer from vertebrae that occasionally twist and lock.  Not a good time.

I'd probably try the stock pump first.  If it gives you a reason to replace it, you can always upgrade it then.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, seabass said:

Sorry to hear about your back.  I suffer from vertebrae that occasionally twist and lock.  Not a good time.

I'd probably try the stock pump first.  If it gives you a reason to replace it, you can always upgrade it then.

Thank you.

Yeah 25 years of block and concrete will do it. 

Thats pretty much the plan. I’m thinking I’ll use stock pump during leak test stage see how it sounds. I’m not worried about flow I will probably add a power head anyway. I’m definitely don’t want to hear any vibration or rattling tho. I won’t go for that. 

If it works out great but I would like to have a plan b in place on a good silent pump just in case. Thx