Innovative Marine Aquariums

If_Only

So about 3/4 days ago I filled up my Red Sea max-e 170, I used probably 35ish lbs of dry Sri Lanka rock, and 40 Lbs of Fiji pink caribsea sand. After the initial fill the tank almost looked like milk, and yesterday morning (when I expected the tank to calm down a bit) it was still cloudy, and this morning it is still about the same level of cloudiness... and I can't test till the 3rd when my new test kit comes cause I spilled my old one... (oops) I have also added Dr. Tims one and only, and I cut there skimmer like it said, ALSO I have cut the lights (as I will during the whole cycling process to hopefully reduce or stop any algae growth). What might this be?? Im not at home right now so I won't be able to provide photos until tonight.

Please, any help is much, much appreciated.

If you didn't wash the sand it will take time to clear.

Stir up the sand at this time to get the filter to remove it. Change filter floss often during cycling.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Joevember said:

It can take a few days for the water to settle after adding in sand. It will clear up evetually.

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Stir up the sand at this time to get the filter to remove it. Change filter floss often during cycling.

Alright thanks you guys, I was just worried cause over the last day it has sort of stayed at the same level of "cloudiness''

On 1/2/2019 at 10:17 AM, Clown79 said:

the tank Is really the same level on cloudiness, usually when I don't rinse sand it clears up after a day, think time it hasn't.

3 hours ago, If_Only said:

the tank Is really the same level on cloudiness, usually when I don't rinse sand it clears up after a day, think time it hasn't.

If you used bagged live sand before, it's already washed.

Any dry sand needs to be washed like crazy to avoid what you're going through.

I pay extra for the bagged/washed stuff and feel good doing it.  :wink:

I've seen it take a week or more for the cloud to clear without pre-washing.  I think it's too fine for most filters to catch too.

Consider cutting off the flow long enough for it to settle (this will take some time!) and then try to gravel-vac out as much as you can.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

If you used bagged live sand before, it's already washed.

Any dry sand needs to be washed like crazy to avoid what you're going through.

I pay extra for the bagged/washed stuff and feel good doing it.  :wink:

I've seen it take a week or more for the cloud to clear without pre-washing.  I think it's too fine for most filters to catch too.

Consider cutting off the flow long enough for it to settle (this will take some time!) and then try to gravel-vac out as much as you can.

I used carib sea arag-alive, which is bagged live, I might try cutting flow.

4 hours ago, Joevember said:

Do you have any sort of mechanical filtration in right now? Might want to put in some filter floss or a sock.

I have some filter floss, but I need to order more, ive used all mine.

I would stir up the sand while flow is running, and often stir it up. Get that buildup into the water column and filtered.

I would run carbon which will also help.

Floss will need to be changed daily to every other day until it clears.

12 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Add some filter floss from InTank. I would also look at running a little carbon for a week. It should clear up soon. 

I have in tank filter floss and chemi-pure blue

10 minutes ago, If_Only said:

I did use a grollia glue gel for the rock, but I read this is ok, think that is the problem?

It's fine if the glue uses cyanoacrylate as its main ingredient.