Pod Your Reef

Spicy's 10 gallon

waytoospicy

It's been a year or so since my last tank and I got bored during Christmas break and thought why not start a  simple 10 gallon reef tank...

My goal for this tank is to keep it simple- HOB filter, softies and LPS and weekly 10% water changes.

Equipment:

-10 Gallon standard tank

-Aquaclear 50 HOB filter

-Current orbit marine  18" led 

-Koralia 425 circulation 

I started with a large piece of live rock and the rest dry rock. Two clowns currently and don't plan on any more fish for now.

Day 1 12/28/19:

ZPv6iHJy9Mz-ov9F9MQz3voAv8EidJXdRNgthQef

Day 2:

VZ3fOyGOSVIu1TG-8-011whMDyPiHgZItMLlF0Mz

• Like 1

My suggestion for LPS is euphyllia, my favorite corals. They give tons of movement, color, and they fill out a tank well. 

Good luck with this tank!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Joevember said:

My suggestion for LPS is euphyllia, my favorite corals. They give tons of movement, color, and they fill out a tank well. 

Good luck with this tank!

Yes, my favorite type of LPS as well!

• Like 1
Chris's Fishes

Looks good so far! 10 gallons are fun - I like the footprint of 5.5's and 15's better, but 10 gallons are just so classic to me for some reason.

I'd second the euphyllia - I love euphyllia-dominated tanks. I think RFAs would look great, too, but aren't they known for eating clowns? Or is that just the Maxi Minis?

I think you'll find the AC 50 and the Koralia 425 to be a nice combo. I have the AC 30 with the Koralia 425, and wish I had just a bit more flow sometimes.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, PoorBigBlue said:

Looks good so far! 10 gallons are fun - I like the footprint of 5.5's and 15's better, but 10 gallons are just so classic to me for some reason.

I'd second the euphyllia - I love euphyllia-dominated tanks. I think RFAs would look great, too, but aren't they known for eating clowns? Or is that just the Maxi Minis?

I think you'll find the AC 50 and the Koralia 425 to be a nice combo. I have the AC 30 with the Koralia 425, and wish I had just a bit more flow sometimes.

Good luck with your 10 gallon. The AC 50 flow still seems less than what I want. I'm thinking AC 70 later down the road and move this AC 50 to my freshwater tank.

• Like 1
Chris's Fishes
6 minutes ago, waytoospicy said:

Good luck with your 10 gallon. The AC 50 flow still seems less than what I want. I'm thinking AC 70 later down the road and move this AC 50 to my freshwater tank.

Thanks! You too.

I may eventually add a Koralia 240, or maybe a smaller powerhead into this tank. The flow that the 425 puts out is nice, but it doesn't FEEL like 425 GPH.

Chris's Fishes
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Tank looks great.

I have had no issues with my rfa eating anything besides what I feed them🙂

21 minutes ago, Militant Jurist said:

I've had rock flowers and maxi-minis and never had any issues with healthy fish getting eaten.

Good to know! I had read somewhere about people losing fish to their anemones, but it must have not been RFAs or maxi-minis. Didn't mean to spread any misinformation!

Militant Jurist

I am sure some anemome has eaten a fish or two, but the likely cause was a sick, dying, or dead fish that the anemome took care of rather than a healthy fish that was targeted for dinner.

• Like 1

Great day today. The orbit led and koralia 425 came in. Scored some softies from a guy breaking down his tank. Enjoy!

Green toadstool:

Y5BX5bCJzKoBF9LM-SqHiEqCHZ0pB-r6FlP6rP-4

Ricordea:

NScFPlF6oQBPf3CegN_38n8WWyNoAGeWOO8Bpl4e

Kenya trees + baby ricordea

N5lWmp5yBb9odRz1V-Fd8dTbdlQI7HlfLCOeqYsZ

Orbit light with mount:

tCHthQWpVkTbiDwlbtW8qkDuqlVrjrKrpVTw0xLd

Side tank shot:

Tdp25n9vatClp1BeCjnJrOOFKU1I5E3hXOmFXC9_

Front/Side shot:

akZlPCe9F5d_C5g6eOHQmROL8-pyiTht-xr7SfXL

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So some updates:

-I decided to switch out the sand to a different one. The old aragonite was very dusty and didn't seem to go away. New one is fine grain and seems to be better already. I like that it comes with little shell pieces, which makes it feel like beach sand.

-I also moved the tank from the bedroom to the living room, next to my 20G freshwater tank.

-The clownfish got ich. I'm going to let them fight it and hope they make it through.

After new sand:

5Vl-J1JhTy1M-wuxYshxRLv2bX-OJUO2QikgfBhm

FTS:

9MJn6-_ke7LTQ-noxUqmLmVAfu6iL66f1XM614Hj

Both of my tanks (I give all the attention to saltwater):

QdnPokujNbf46XvlldYpzVifcWrFHjmsZ5TetT0M

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
waytoospicy

Time for an update. My clowns didn't make it probably due to ich. I got a yellow watchman and a conch about two weeks ago and they're doing great. Tank is doing well, no algae issues and i'm getting coraline algae on the circulation pump and filter intake. Have a couple aiptasias but i won't bother with them yet.

3/15/19:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1