Pod Your Reef

New Fluval Evo 5 gallon startup

Coupe.sx510

"stay off my lawn human" haha

8 hours ago, Coinee said:

I love how grouchy these gobies always look. They always have the "Stay off my lawn you darn kids!" kind of look to them. 

20190119_063332.jpg

20190119_063325.jpg

• Like 2

stopped at my two lfs's and picked up a clown goby, duncan, and rasta zoa. i adjusted the koralia nano so it is higher up and pointed to the corner. also did my 10% water change. which is easy on this tank because the filter section in the back holds a little less than that amount. so i just use my siphon and suck out the detritus in the back. I also received my refugium light that i ordered on Amazon and, i ordered my intank media basket. 

20190120_135459.jpg

20190120_165032.jpg

20190120_165038.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Coupe.sx510 said:

stopped at my two lfs's and picked up a clown goby, duncan, and rasta zoa. i adjusted the koralia nano so it is higher up and pointed to the corner. also did my 10% water change. which is easy on this tank because the filter section in the back holds a little less than that amount. so i just use my siphon and suck out the detritus in the back. I also received my refugium light that i ordered on Amazon and, i ordered my intank media basket. 

20190120_135459.jpg

20190120_165032.jpg

20190120_165038.jpg

Are you going to just keep everything low to the ground or eventually add more rock to make a small hill kind of structure in the tank because you could definitely have a lot more coral growing room if you built vertically a bit! But i like the way your tank looks now too!

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Coinee said:

Are you going to just keep everything low to the ground or eventually add more rock to make a small hill kind of structure in the tank because you could definitely have a lot more coral growing room if you built vertically a bit! But i like the way your tank looks now too!

havent seen any rock i really like yet

• Like 1

so i wanted a wave function so i ditched the koralia and, bought a jebao OW-10 wavemaker.  the koralias flow rate of 250gph was to strong. with the jebao i can dial down the flow rate to 100'somthin haha. im really liking the jebao. right away the wave function picked up a bunch of detritus. i think the corals are enjoying it too because everything is fully extended. Also my intank media basket came in the mail. im running a filter sponge, chemi pure nano and. charcoal. im waiting on some intank filter floss to be delivered so i can ditch the sponge. 

20190123_202939.jpg

• Like 2
Just now, Coupe.sx510 said:

so i wanted a wave function so i ditched the koralia and, bought a jebao OW-10 wavemaker.  the koralias flow rate of 250gph was to strong. with the jebao i can dial down the flow rate to 100'somthin haha. im really liking the jebao. right away the wave function picked up a bunch of detritus. i think the corals are enjoying it too because everything is fully extended. Also my intank media basket came in the mail. im running a filter sponge, chemi pure nano and. charcoal. im waiting on some intank filter floss to be delivered so i can ditch the sponge. 

20190123_202939.jpg

20190123_203603.jpg

On 1/21/2019 at 4:43 PM, Coupe.sx510 said:

havent seen any rock i really like yet

If you find rock later, you can't safely add it to an existing tank with testing for a week or more in it's own container.

By charcoal do you mean activated carbon? That's what chemipure is, so no need to run both.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:46 PM, Clown79 said:

If you find rock later, you can't safely add it to an existing tank with testing for a week or more in it's own container.

By charcoal do you mean activated carbon? That's what chemipure is, so no need to run both.

oh okay. yeah i have the original small bag of carbon that came with the tank. snd then the chemi pure nano packet. which i just have one packet for the 5 gallon tank.

2 hours ago, Coupe.sx510 said:

oh okay. yeah i have the original small bag of carbon that came with the tank. snd then the chemi pure nano packet. which i just have one packet for the 5 gallon tank.

1 pack nano I believe is for 5g use. Most change it every month. They sell them in a 5 pack bag.

You won't need to waste money on the carbon if you are using chemipure.

You can certainly buy a good carbon in the larger containers and bag it yourself instead of chemipure. 

Many options for filtration media.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on the rocks.

• Thanks 1
CarolinaShoreReef
On 1/20/2019 at 10:57 PM, Coinee said:

I think you’ll want to build up or upgrade the light. All of my softies are stretching for light with the stock light on. I’ll be addressing the stock light in the next video of the series. Hopefully sometime this weekend. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

I think you’ll want to build up or upgrade the light. All of my softies are stretching for light with the stock light on. I’ll be addressing the stock light in the next video of the series. Hopefully sometime this weekend. 

my Hippogera 30watt led comes in the mail tommarow 

• Like 1

today i added a favia and another sps. and i bought some phytofeast. i dipped the corals for 10mins. blasted them with a turkey baster to get any hitchhikers off. they were $10 frags so im optimistic and hope they do well. i just did a water change the day before.

20190204_113535.jpg

Beautiful build, watching this!  My GF started up the same tank about a year ago, had a massive crash due to getting bleach in the tank, and started all over about 3 months ago...keep up the great work on your masterpiece!

• Thanks 1

thanks appreciate the compliments. it is still a work in progress. i currently have a small hair algae problem. most likely because i have been feeding to many pellets. 

20190209_193610.jpg

20190209_193604.jpg

• Like 1