ReefCleaners.org

30 Gallon Cube Build

youincolor

Well after over a decade of reef keeping I am setting up *another* new tank. This time around is a 24"x18"x18" rimless 30 gallon cube, craigslist special so not entirely sure of the brand, but the glass is all beveled and looks to be 1/4" thick, so it seems fairly decent. This will serve as my new glass box journal, potentially more for myself than anyone else, but I would welcome any suggestions or observations as it progresses. 

I have had a standard 10 gallon aquarium for about the last 18 months, which contained everything transferred from a BioCube 8 that I had for about 18 months prior to that. Husbandry had been lacking lately in the 10, and my lack of care/mistakes were taking way too big of a toll on 10 gallons of water. I have a small space for a tank and really cannot go any wider than 24", I had been searching for a deeper and taller cube style tank for months.

Finally found it this week:

IMG_7061.jpg.203698978d7e9c2221b7f3766e4e56c3.jpg

IMG_7062.jpg.16800fae520b71387ac058b2d7315b60.jpg

I plan on using my same lighting unit, which I took a chance on almost exactly a year ago and seems to be working fine, however I do not have a PAR meter to double check for sure:

Current light:

IMG_2812.jpg.0945aa1006d28026a97666ac6ac72fd6.jpg

Light: Wattshine 140W-180W LED

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776MVZ8H/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would welcome any horror stories about this unit, or anyone using it with success.

I had an Aquaclear 50 filter on the 10 and used ChemiPure Elite for about 18 months for the first time ever, and I couldn't tell any difference. I would also run filter floss to polish the water when the sand was disturbed. I do not think I will be using any kind of HOB filter on the new tank as I didn't see much added benefit from it when I used it.

I also previously ran a Koralia Nano powerhead, but I have ordered the Hydor Smart Wave Controller and one Koralia Evolution 1050/1150 GPH. Does anyone have experience with flow in a similar sized tank? I was hoping to go bigger on the pump and be able to control the flow down if necessary.

I have to modify  my 'stand', which also doubles as my kids' art supplies set of drawers:

Original 10 gallon on 'stand', I ended up hanging the light too low at first and had to move it way up after this picture was taken:

IMG_2818.jpg.4ed8143311e1d8895804799e089df2e9.jpg

Modifications started:

IMG_7057.jpg.9c9ca0cf32121a01dac966c3df13a746.jpg

IMG_7058.jpg.c9d7ae1be82e69528642790d17ab6e6c.jpg

I have replaced all the filters and resin and RO membrane in my 5 stage unit, ordered Cal Alk and Mg solution from Bulk Reef, and I think I am ready to actually put some effort into my tank again. Looking to have a healthy mix of corals and small fish and be able to be proud of my tank again for the first time in a few years. Please let me know what suggestions anyone might have for a tank this shape/size. Feels good to be back (again).

Thanks!

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, youincolor said:

Well after over a decade of reef keeping I am setting up *another* new tank. This time around is a 24"x18"x18" rimless 30 gallon cube, craigslist special so not entirely sure of the brand, but the glass is all beveled and looks to be 1/4" thick, so it seems fairly decent. This will serve as my new glass box journal, potentially more for myself than anyone else, but I would welcome any suggestions or observations as it progresses. 

I have had a standard 10 gallon aquarium for about the last 18 months, which contained everything transferred from a BioCube 8 that I had for about 18 months prior to that. Husbandry had been lacking lately in the 10, and my lack of care/mistakes were taking way too big of a toll on 10 gallons of water. I have a small space for a tank and really cannot go any wider than 24", I had been searching for a deeper and taller cube style tank for months.

Finally found it this week:

IMG_7061.jpg.203698978d7e9c2221b7f3766e4e56c3.jpg

IMG_7062.jpg.16800fae520b71387ac058b2d7315b60.jpg

I plan on using my same lighting unit, which I took a chance on almost exactly a year ago and seems to be working fine, however I do not have a PAR meter to double check for sure:

Current light:

IMG_2812.jpg.0945aa1006d28026a97666ac6ac72fd6.jpg

Light: Wattshine 140W-180W LED

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776MVZ8H/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would welcome any horror stories about this unit, or anyone using it with success.

I had an Aquaclear 50 filter on the 10 and used ChemiPure Elite for about 18 months for the first time ever, and I couldn't tell any difference. I would also run filter floss to polish the water when the sand was disturbed. I do not think I will be using any kind of HOB filter on the new tank as I didn't see much added benefit from it when I used it.

I also previously ran a Koralia Nano powerhead, but I have ordered the Hydor Smart Wave Controller and one Koralia Evolution 1050/1150 GPH. Does anyone have experience with flow in a similar sized tank? I was hoping to go bigger on the pump and be able to control the flow down if necessary.

I have to modify  my 'stand', which also doubles as my kids' art supplies set of drawers:

Original 10 gallon on 'stand', I ended up hanging the light too low at first and had to move it way up after this picture was taken:

IMG_2818.jpg.4ed8143311e1d8895804799e089df2e9.jpg

Modifications started:

IMG_7057.jpg.9c9ca0cf32121a01dac966c3df13a746.jpg

IMG_7058.jpg.c9d7ae1be82e69528642790d17ab6e6c.jpg

I have replaced all the filters and resin and RO membrane in my 5 stage unit, ordered Cal Alk and Mg solution from Bulk Reef, and I think I am ready to actually put some effort into my tank again. Looking to have a healthy mix of corals and small fish and be able to be proud of my tank again for the first time in a few years. Please let me know what suggestions anyone might have for a tank this shape/size. Feels good to be back (again).

Thanks!

Welcome back. 😀

Looking forward to see what you do with it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got this tank wet over the weekend. I thought I had more dry rock in storage than I did, so I am looking for a few good top pieces to add to fill it out a bit more. Running the Aquaclear50 with old media from the 10 gallon to assist in the cycle, once I feel I can I will remove it. Added 10 gallons of the old water, and all the rock that was in the old tank. Hoping for a seamless cycle, won't be surprised at diatoms or other new tank symptoms though. 

IMG_7135.jpg.0edfeaddc875a97c858dbfc036cdf003.jpg

I sent back the Hydor Smart Wave and Korallia pump, and picked up the Innovative Marine Wavelink, the larger one (http://www.innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/wavelink.html).  I couldn't find much about this pump and controller, not many reviews. For the price it seemed perfect, and so far it seems pretty great. I can barely even turn it up past speed setting 2 (of 9) without kicking up the sand, which is crushed coral aragonite and not easy to blow around. Anyone have any experience with this pump?

Had to drive 1.5 hours to get to a proper reef store and picked up some frags. They were already opened up about an hour after I dropped them in last night. More photos to come once things start settling in. 

IMG_7134.jpg.88e6400927da142901d1a9c481d6766c.jpg

• Like 2

Looking forward to future updates. I'm stating a tank soon that's a very similar size. I'd love to see what you have going on in the sump too. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Dantrasy said:

Looking forward to future updates. I'm stating a tank soon that's a very similar size. I'd love to see what you have going on in the sump too. 

Right on I’ll keep an eye out for your build thread too. I didn’t drill this tank for a sump due to soace constraints, so I’ll be doing weekly water changes, etc.

34 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @youincolor! Thanks for sharing your nanoreef, congrats on the tank upgrade, can’t wait to see what you create with it!

Thanks man!