Pod Your Reef

Just about to start a 15 Gal AIO

neyes_ice

hello everyone! 

I am just about to get my DIY 15 gal peninsula aio going. just doing some last minute research.

plan on keeping few fish and corals, no sps at this time.

my concern right now is my return pump and circulation pump.

return pump: Cobalt Aquatics Mini MJ 606 159gph

circulation: Hydor Koralia Nano 240gph

will this be sufficient?

thanks

• Like 1

The Cobalt is unlikely to be anywhere near enough for a 15 gallon.  I have the IM 14 peninsula and use a good size Tunze pump, a lot of people use Sicce 1.0 I believe for this size.  The 606 is more like a pico pump.  The Koralia might be ok or you might need the next size up, just depends on the main pump.

Chris's Fishes

I can't speak for the return, but I use a Koralia Nano 425 in conjunction with an AC 30 in my 10 gallon and feel as if it's just enough. I don't even plan to keep SPS - the Koralia's pump a lot of water for the amount of turbulence they create... Meaning that the jet of water they produce is fairly wide. My 1" clown can swim in front of the powerhead without too much trouble. I'd think for a 15 gallon, I'd want at least the 425, personally.

8 minutes ago, PoorBigBlue said:

I can't speak for the return, but I use a Koralia Nano 425 in conjunction with an AC 30 in my 10 gallon and feel as if it's just enough. I don't even plan to keep SPS - the Koralia's pump a lot of water for the amount of turbulence they create... Meaning that the jet of water they produce is fairly wide. My 1" clown can swim in front of the powerhead without too much trouble. I'd think for a 15 gallon, I'd want at least the 425, personally.

Agree. I used a 425 in my 10 gallon

The 606 return pump isn't enough for a 15g. 

That's more suited to a 5g tank.

The 240 is very little as well.

In my 15g I ran the hydor 425, sicce 530, and my hob filter which had 150 + gph. 

I stopped using the hydor because it was very weak.