Coinee

My first (pico) reef

Well, I tried to measure the nitrites again today under some different lighting. It seems the shade of purple is actually about 2 ppm. This sounds a lot more reasonable and around the area of what I was expecting. I'll test again on Friday or Saturday. 

I tested nitrites again today, I thought it was Friday... but I just realized it is ThursdayImage result for d'oh

Good news is that they're at about 0.5 ppm today. 

Edit: Edited main post to include my equipment

• Haha 1

January 18th

I tested parameters today:

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 5 ppm

Nitrites - between 0.25 and 0.5 ppm

Sp. Gravity - 1.024

Nitrites are clearing up a lot. It is only slightly darker than 0.25. Should be done cycling in a couple days. 

January 19th

I tested parameters today:

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrate - < 5 ppm

Nitrites - 0 ppm 

Sp. Gravity - 1.024

Temp - 27C

TANK IS CYCCCLEEEEEEEEEEEED!  Time to go 8 tangs, 12 hermit crabs, 6 anemone shrimp, 4 urchins and 3 star fish and some anemones! Lol Not really. I'll probably pick up something in a day or two, I would go today but I feel reaaaaaaaaaallllllllllly lazy.  

So, I went out today after all. I wanted to get some GSP, the LFS had frags last time I went but the tank crashed and their GSP is alive but still recovering so they don't have any available for me. They had a nice candy cane coral that I'm going to add.

I picked up a Salifert Nitrite test kit, I tested my tank, indeed it is 0 ppm nitrite. I'll pick up the other Salifert tests as time goes on, I would have at my LFS but their expiration date was only like 6 months away and I didn't want to chance it. The nitrite ones expired mid 2020 so that was better. 

I haven't seen any algae in my tank or anything so I'm not gonna get any snails yet. If I get algae I'll probably get a snail or two (and skip the hermit for now). I realized since I have a pico tank, I'm more interested in coral. When I get a new tank, I'll look more into actual live stock. But I'll probably start some algae growing from the frag plug so maybe I'll have to get some snails sooner than later.

So, I dipped the coral and wow! The amount of bugs that jumped out of it were surprising. I'm using ReVive Coral Cleaner dip. First coral, first dip, lesson learned! 

Quick question:

What is that greenish bubble between the two candy cane heads? The bubble is more visible in the 2nd pic. I poked it and it is hard and doesn't break. Some sort of algae or something?

50401215_275799549759013_8970307504302981120_n.jpg

50554479_377776092781783_5609261566709989376_n.jpg

50630022_2406990369375118_2286641803866144768_n.jpg

Edit:

I was poking the coral around to get it in a good spot in the tank and the green bubble softened up and I accidently burst it. Definitely was algae. 

16 hours ago, Coinee said:

So, I went out today after all. I wanted to get some GSP, the LFS had frags last time I went but the tank crashed and their GSP is alive but still recovering so they don't have any available for me. They had a nice candy cane coral that I'm going to add.

I picked up a Salifert Nitrite test kit, I tested my tank, indeed it is 0 ppm nitrite. I'll pick up the other Salifert tests as time goes on, I would have at my LFS but their expiration date was only like 6 months away and I didn't want to chance it. The nitrite ones expired mid 2020 so that was better. 

I haven't seen any algae in my tank or anything so I'm not gonna get any snails yet. If I get algae I'll probably get a snail or two (and skip the hermit for now). I realized since I have a pico tank, I'm more interested in coral. When I get a new tank, I'll look more into actual live stock. But I'll probably start some algae growing from the frag plug so maybe I'll have to get some snails sooner than later.

So, I dipped the coral and wow! The amount of bugs that jumped out of it were surprising. I'm using ReVive Coral Cleaner dip. First coral, first dip, lesson learned! 

Quick question:

What is that greenish bubble between the two candy cane heads? The bubble is more visible in the 2nd pic. I poked it and it is hard and doesn't break. Some sort of algae or something?

50401215_275799549759013_8970307504302981120_n.jpg

50554479_377776092781783_5609261566709989376_n.jpg

50630022_2406990369375118_2286641803866144768_n.jpg

Edit:

I was poking the coral around to get it in a good spot in the tank and the green bubble softened up and I accidently burst it. Definitely was algae. 

It's bubble algae. When the bubbles get big enough, you can gently twist them off. I recommend doing it outside the tank in case it bursts so spores don't spread in the tank. Good job dipping! It's so important. 

11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's bubble algae. When the bubbles get big enough, you can gently twist them off. I recommend doing it outside the tank in case it bursts so spores don't spread in the tank. Good job dipping! It's so important. 

Yep that's what it was. I burst it when I took it out of the tank and poked it lol. 

I bought some GSP today, will post a pic of it when it stops being pissed off and opens up.  I probably won't add any more corals unless I find something I really like like a nice ricordea or zoanthid. 

Next addition will probably be a snail since I expect some algae to start growing eventually.

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions