inTank Media Baskets

Prazipro in display tank? Really could use the advice..

slooye

Can I dose my display tank with Prazipro? I know a few people who have but just wanted to get more opinions. I don’t have time to set up a quarantine tank and do large water changes to avoid a cycle. My two clowns have internal worms I believe.

The best way to deal with internal worms is to food soak API General Cure - which contains both praziquantel & metronidazole. You'll also need to use Seachem Focus or unflavored gelatin to bind the medication to the food. My formula for food soaking prazi/metro can be found below:

Using a shot glass:

1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication

1 scoop Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe)

1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)

A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites

A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins

Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved

Feed after soaking for 30 mins

Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, slooye said:

This is something I would definitely do, but can’t get one of the clowns to eat.

Prazipro might work, but usually the fish needs prolonged exposure to praziquantel in order to eliminate intestinal worms. It also helps to deliver the medication directly through the gut, where the worms live.

Let me ask you this... Why do you suspect internal worms? Are you seeing white stringy poo?

53 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Prazipro might work, but usually the fish needs prolonged exposure to praziquantel in order to eliminate intestinal worms. It also helps to deliver the medication directly through the gut, where the worms live.

Let me ask you this... Why do you suspect internal worms? Are you seeing white stringy poo?

First off thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. And yes white stringy poop and loss of appetite in both clowns. One is eating slightly while the other isn’t eating aswell. Another question, if these two clowns do happen to die will there still be worms in my tank? 

2 hours ago, slooye said:

First off thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. And yes white stringy poop and loss of appetite in both clowns. One is eating slightly while the other isn’t eating aswell. Another question, if these two clowns do happen to die will there still be worms in my tank? 

I suspect your clowns have internal flagellates, as cestodes (tapeworms) shouldn't cause a hardy species (e.g. clownfish) to stop eating. Both have the white stringy feces symptom, but internal flagellates are much more virulent/dangerous. I recommend you QT both of them, and dose the water with either General Cure or Seachem Metroplex. Hopefully they will drink enough of the medicated water to prove useful.

Both intestinal worms & internal parasites are spread when another fish eats the feces of an infected specimen. Do you have any other fish in this tank??

1 hour ago, Humblefish said:

I suspect your clowns have internal flagellates, as cestodes (tapeworms) shouldn't cause a hardy species (e.g. clownfish) to stop eating. Both have the white stringy feces symptom, but internal flagellates are much more virulent/dangerous. I recommend you QT both of them, and dose the water with either General Cure or Seachem Metroplex. Hopefully they will drink enough of the medicated water to prove useful.

Both intestinal worms & internal parasites are spread when another fish eats the feces of an infected specimen. Do you have any other fish in this tank??

Nope just the clowns luckily. Other than the fish I have a shrimp, some crabs, and snails.

1 minute ago, slooye said:

Nope just the clowns luckily. Other than the fish I have a shrimp, some crabs, and snails.

QT just the fish, treat with Metroplex or GC, and once they (hopefully) start eating switch over to food soaking.

That should fix the problem. 👍

3 hours ago, Humblefish said:

QT just the fish, treat with Metroplex or GC, and once they (hopefully) start eating switch over to food soaking.

That should fix the problem. 👍

Thank you! As for quarantining goes, just do larger water changes to avoid a cycle?

CrushtheTurtle
On 12/16/2018 at 11:49 AM, slooye said:

did you ever get the last question answered? I'm having the same exact issue..can't get my clowns to eat anymore either, don't have a QT, might have to try a bucket and treat with general cure. but just in case they die - when is it safe to get new fish?