inTank Media Baskets

Best nano skimmer

hawkingcolorado

16 hours ago, hawkingcolorado said:

What's  the best quietest in chamber nano skimmer right now. I have a 20g IM peninnsula.   Tunze 9001 does not fit. 

I’m interested to know as well. I know marine depot shows a few on their website. Just don’t know if they are any good.

I just ordered the IM nuvoskim dc for my wife's c-vue 18.  As soon as it's in place I'll let you know if it's any good.  I know the ghost skimmers weren't very good, but I took a chance...so we'll see.  Have you looked at the aquamaxx nf?

• Like 1
hawkingcolorado
1 minute ago, DreC80 said:

I just ordered the IM nuvoskim dc for my wife's c-vue 18.  As soon as it's in place I'll let you know if it's any good.  I know the ghost skimmers weren't very good, but I took a chance...so we'll see.  Have you looked at the aquamaxx nf?

Yes, but seems to be out of stock everywhere. I heard they were very goog.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jrill said:

I use and love this one

Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer

Jrill how loud is the icecap?  Was looking at that one but saw a couple reviews saying it was too loud.

From what I've read nano skimmers aren't really worth it, regular water changes will do just as well if not a better job. 

A algea reactor on the other hand is worth looking into imo. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Jrill how loud is the icecap?  Was looking at that one but saw a couple reviews saying it was too loud.

Not very loud at all.  If I'm right next to the tank I can hear the air being sucked into the silencer but not bad enough to make me try to find a way to make it quieter.  Certainly not loud enough to bother me. 

I don't know if that tank has a lid on it or not, but I have a H2PRO skimmer, it is $60 online and after the quickest break-in ever it is super quiet and skims like a beast.  I don't even want to upgrade to a fancy name or sleek design, it is awesome!

IMG_20181217_123144470.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you change the hose and silencer from orange to white, it is a CoralBox (something)150.

I’ve got one of those as well in my jbj 20-RL. Pretty happy with the purchase.

There is the option to upgrade the pump to a DC unit.

I’ve got to rearrange the equipment in the back chambers and rebuild my ATO float switch bracket for this tank so that I can run it in a chamber with a lower (constant) water level. I can’t set the bracket to run it any more shallow than it already is. The DC pump would let me throttle flow back to be able to run it in deeper water.

I only run it 6-8 hours a day. I feed the equivalent of 1-2 cubes a day and it pulls the junk out well before that time is up. It stops building a significant amount of foam after a while. I also don’t like completely stripping the water, I dose phyto and a few other things that I want suspended in the water column.

It fits in a 4.25 by 4.25 chamber with a little room to spare side to side, but not much extra space front to back.

My biopellet reactor and return pump (occasional surface splashing) make more noise.

After going back and forth between an algae reactor or a skimmer, I decided a skimmer was the way to go personally. I do weekly water changes and don't want to worry about keeping chaeto alive without enough nutrients. 

Anyway, after trying to find a nano skimmer worth a damn, it came down to the k1 or the reef Glass. I decided on the reef Glass. It's small and won't require moving things around to fit it in the back chamber, and air driven skimmers are more effecient than small needlewheel ones. Sure I'll have to replace the airstone occasionally, but it's small trade off. 

I prefer counter current air driven skimmers myself, but my current setup isn’t well suited for one. I couldn’t beat the cost of the CoralBox/H2Pro building my own.

I think there are a couple people listing Reef Glass skimmers in the classifieds section.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Beer said:

I prefer counter current air driven skimmers myself, but my current setup isn’t well suited for one. I couldn’t beat the cost of the CoralBox/H2Pro building my own.

I think there are a couple people listing Reef Glass skimmers in the classifieds section.

The H2PRO is the best, certainly for the money.  Results speek for themselves, and a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's my collection cup that I emptied on Saturday night as of just now...

IMG_20190102_085044790.jpg

16 hours ago, MrObscura said:

After going back and forth between an algae reactor or a skimmer, I decided a skimmer was the way to go personally. I do weekly water changes and don't want to worry about keeping chaeto alive without enough nutrients. 

Anyway, after trying to find a nano skimmer worth a damn, it came down to the k1 or the reef Glass. I decided on the reef Glass. It's small and won't require moving things around to fit it in the back chamber, and air driven skimmers are more effecient than small needlewheel ones. Sure I'll have to replace the airstone occasionally, but it's small trade off. 

I wish I'd have known you were looking for a skimmer sooner - I could have sold you my mine.  It came with my setup and I never got around to putting it on either of my tanks. 

• Like 1
austinmullis

I can't remember the name of it, but it was a new up and coming product that should be out for sale now. It's sort of a kit for one. It looks like a ro cyclinder and it includes a wooden air stone. Its like 50 bucks i think, and you have to use your own air pump, but it supposedly works really good.

• 3 weeks later...