Cultivated Reef

Best way to clear powerhead of geledium?

Donny41

I noticed a few small patches of geledium pop up in my tank over the last week. It was a problem at times in my 10 gallon, but I thought I had cleared it up when I transferred to my current 40g. Inspecting the tank I noticed that it has taken hold on the inside of my powerhead where I cant really get to it. Any recommendations for clearing it up? I was thinking soaking it in freshwater/vinegar for a bit. Open to any suggestions 

20181211_172047.jpg

I assume you mean the coralline.  No real need to get rid of it.  But yep, soaking in a vinegar solution will loosen it right up.  Then take a toothbrush and it should come right off.

• Like 1

Nope, I know it's tough to see with the picture but theres a decent amount of red wiry algae growing on the inside. Only place I cant get to it to rip it out or have my Mexican turbo now it down

2 hours ago, Donny41 said:

Nope, I know it's tough to see with the picture but theres a decent amount of red wiry algae growing on the inside. Only place I cant get to it to rip it out or have my Mexican turbo now it down

Can’t you just open the powerhead to scrub it?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Can’t you just open the powerhead to scrub it?

Yeah I probably can do that as well. Want to make sure I get it all though because this stuff is a pain. 

7 minutes ago, Donny41 said:

Yeah I probably can do that as well. Want to make sure I get it all though because this stuff is a pain. 

Open it up and get in there and scrub it clean. Then you can soak the parts if necessary.