Top Shelf Aquatics

Jawfish compatibility ???

Undertheradar

In the 30g I would like to put it in I have...

6-line wrasse (under 2")

fire/blood shrimp (3")

emerald crab (2")

various hermits...

2 porcelean crabs...1.5-2" each...these are what I am worried about...

I would like to add a black-cap jawfish to the works...in the past I always thought one would be neat, but I also had peppermint & cleaner shrimp that would have been toast. Recently, my wrasse has taken an interest in shrimp meat however anyways...and they no longer exist...so now a jawfish might work. I thought for a long time that my porcelean crabs were toast as well...but I just saw them hanging out under a rock a few days ago...YIPEEEE!!! Here is my concern: Will the jawfish snack on my porc. crabs? I know every fish is different...but what would you bet on? They arent "delicate shrimp"...heck they have claws...and the wrasse didnt take them out (or the more robust fire shrimp...not worried about it either)...but would a jawfish snack on them?

heres a pic...he is currently residing in the QT tank. I could just keep him in there until I get a chance to yank the porc. crabs...put the crabs in the refugium where they are 100% safe...anyone have experience with jawfish enough to make a suggestion? it's just under 3". Worst case scenario I have to have my cousin take him for a while...

i would say go for it with the crabs. my blue spot jawfish doesnt even mess with my harlequin shrimp. i cant confirm it but i do think he ate my peppermint shrimp, although he was fine for quite a long time with the peppy without paying it any mind.

i could be wrong but that looks more like a weird color morph of a tiger jawfish than a blackcap. blackcaps normally have an orange stripe above the eyes.

I do say!!! I think you are right. It seems many people on the net as well are calling the above fish a 'black cap'...but upon further hunting I can see that the black-cap does not have the yellow-stripes...if anything it's stripes are horizontal...not vertical. I wouldnt have known better, but I just looked up 'tiger jawfish' and holy $h#t...it's a tiger!

edit: it isnt a color morph or anything (I see the other 'tiger you speak of'). This is known as the bali tiger jawfish.

IYE, do they do better in pairs? The LFS has another one...not sure if male or female however...

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can get away with just the single Jawfish. However, if you do add a pair, make sure they both came from the same tank and that you actually see them physically get along by each other.

Archived