Coral Vue Hydros

Dead Clown fish

Aziaxi

So last night i noticed the first sights because it was breathing fast and was just hiding so i was going to deal with it this morning. When i woke up it was dead I have had them since augest stock was 2 clown fish 2 narsuis snail now it is 1 clown 2 narsuis snail last thing i added were the snails in September last water chage was sunday.i also had a algae bloom but not sure what it is

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0-0.20

I checked these 2 last night

1544297864698342250973008828903.jpg

15442981530488293394302897869101.jpg

15442982063723427734307642782972.jpg

• Sad 1

The rock still looks almost totally dead.  You say it's been up since August? 

How long has the rock been in there and how long have the lights been on?

Can I ask if you have any books yet or what you've been using as a setup guide?

Looks like a very small tank so I would venture a guess that with the heavy breathing and hiding, one clown stressed the other to death.  

I wouldnt add another clown, and I would also bulk up your cuc.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

The rock still looks almost totally dead.  You say it's been up since August? 

How long has the rock been in there and how long have the lights been on?

Can I ask if you have any books yet or what you've been using as a setup guide?

I was using mainly youtube forums and the new marine aquarium i turn on the lights arourd 8:20 when i leavings for school and turn off around 5:00

15444061824517969336471857020965.jpg

Your tank really needs an infusion of coraline algae....and lots more life generally!    

Especially some coraline....without coraline algae (or even better some corals) taking up space you're just inviting algae to take root.  

It's going to be really hard to have a balanced ecosystem of any kind without this.   Adding corals might be the best option since you'll probably get some coraline (and a ton of other good microbes) along with them.

Simply wait to add any (more) fish until corals and a better class of microbe has populated the tank.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:43 PM, Aziaxi said:

I was using mainly youtube forums and the new marine aquarium

YouTube is good for some things, and NMA is a good starter book, but I'd recommend more books.

Check out...

• Fenner's "Concientious Marine Aquariust"
  • Tullock's "Natural Reef Aquarums"
  • Riddle's "The Captive Reef"

...just for starters.

In addition to other sources, check your used bookstore(s) for aquarium books too.

The lack of coraline isn't going to result in death, dry rock will look dead for some time after a bio filter has been established.

If there was no clear signs or symptoms and water Params are inline there's really no way to know. 

Was this clown smaller than the other and how did they get along? 

And sometimes fish just die due to no fault of the Keeper. Could be bad stock, compromised immune system, etc. 

Wait and see how your other one does and if/when you decide to get another make sure it's a small juvenile so that there's a better chance of them getting along, since your current one is or will be female. 

Oh what size tank do you have? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 9:49 AM, MrObscura said:

The lack of coraline isn't going to result in death, dry rock will look dead for some time after a bio filter has been established.

If there was no clear signs or symptoms and water Params are inline there's really no way to know. 

Was this clown smaller than the other and how did they get along? 

And sometimes fish just die due to no fault of the Keeper. Could be bad stock, compromised immune system, etc. 

Wait and see how your other one does and if/when you decide to get another make sure it's a small juvenile so that there's a better chance of them getting along, since your current one is or will be female. 

Oh what size tank do you have? 

Other clown was fine It is still alive I have a 10 gal nuvo fusion and I did set up bio filter recently I cant really find a reason it died.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:32 PM, mcarroll said:

Your tank really needs an infusion of coraline algae....and lots more life generally!    

Especially some coraline....without coraline algae (or even better some corals) taking up space you're just inviting algae to take root.  

It's going to be really hard to have a balanced ecosystem of any kind without this.   Adding corals might be the best option since you'll probably get some coraline (and a ton of other good microbes) along with them.

Simply wait to add any (more) fish until corals and a better class of microbe has populated the tank.

What would you recommend for a first coral then I am trying to stay away zoanthids but would torch coral be fine. I also bought a dosing kit for when I do get coral. 

4 hours ago, Aziaxi said:

Other clown was fine It is still alive I have a 10 gal nuvo fusion and I did set up bio filter recently I cant really find a reason it died.

What do you mean you set up bio filter recently?

Your liverock is the biofiltration.

5 hours ago, Aziaxi said:

What would you recommend for a first coral then I am trying to stay away zoanthids but would torch coral be fine. I also bought a dosing kit for when I do get coral. 

I recommend getting corals you like vs "beginner corals".  If you like torch corals, I think that would be a fine selection.  They are happy enough even in very dirty water and can tolerate a wide range of lighting conditions.   They do not tolerate extremely high flow as well as some corals, if that's a concern. 🙂

Take is slow and you won't go wrong!  🙂 🙂

19 hours ago, Clown79 said:

What do you mean you set up bio filter recently?

Your liverock is the biofiltration.

I have live rock and some seachem matrix with 2 packs of cemipure nano 

15462749559913543288799693921960.jpg

23 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I recommend getting corals you like vs "beginner corals".  If you like torch corals, I think that would be a fine selection.  They are happy enough even in very dirty water and can tolerate a wide range of lighting conditions.   They do not tolerate extremely high flow as well as some corals, if that's a concern. 🙂

Take is slow and you won't go wrong!  🙂 🙂

Would I need to dose my tank if I have one coral or would I be fine with water changes. I right now have the red sea complete foundation pack. Also any thing you would recommend untill I get coral.

15462936619671312598989520008807.jpg

Water changes are fine as long as you track alkalinity usage by testing your water periodically.  Do a water change when the test kit says to – verify how much difference it made with another alk test.   You'll have to increase water changes at some point.  Then later you'll have to switch to dosing something by hand.  Etc.  🙂

Your tank looks alot better from the pictures you posted from the beginning of December. The clown very well may have died at no fault to you. Nice tank!

• Like 1

Waterchanges should be enough. 1 coral, even a few often doesn't drop alk enough to warrant dosing.

Testing alk 2 times a week will give you an idea of what's going on.

Consumption changes, it can go up and down so it's best to monitor alk to keep up with those changes.

• Like 1