SaltCritters.com

Doable or a recipe for disaster?

Tom Price

Hi everyone. New here. I haven't had a tank in a few years but I've done large FW and SW tanks in the past. My wife wanted to try a tank again so I got a CADlights 4g mini for the counter. Planning on making this a pico with just softies like zoas and mushrooms. Maybe a fire shrimp for some movement. Will use live sand and about 5-7 pounds of live rock. 20 percent weekly water changes. I don't want to do a whole lot of modification to this tank. Will a soft coral pico be sustainable in this tank run pretty much stock? Thanks for any advice.

fire shrimp like to claim a territory so if you add one try to refrain getting another shrimp of any sort even a 4 gallon is even just a bit small but doable your coral should work fine as long as your tank is 5 -6 weeks cycled coral should be fine make sure to check water parameters regularly and ajust as needed for best out of corals otherwise it should be fine (this is all based on my own experiance)

Hi Tom, that's a nifty little Pico.  IMO I think 5 to 7 lbs of live rock would be a bit too much.  the old saying of 1lb per gallon is a very general rule and for these little nano's/picos you may not even have enough room for all that.  I would cut that in half at least.  

The limiting factor for corals will be the light and based on your plan to just add softies, you will be fine.  

Make sure you post pics...cant wait to see it.

Duane

follow me on Instagram @nanorox1 

www.nanorox.com 

• Like 1

Pico's are very doable. 

Check out the pico section, tons of ideas

We had a pico contest on here, tons of ideas just in that section alone.

5-7lbs of rock is alot in a 4g. 4lbs is plenty.

Mushrooms and zoas are definitely good choices. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So 3 weeks later the tank finally came yesterday. Did a leak test overnight and all is well. Looks to be a nice tank, particularly the glass. Unfortunately, I've got a busy family holiday schedule so this project may have to wait until after the New year. Unless I can come up with an excuse to get out of helping my in-laws put up their tree next Saturday and sneak out to get LR and sand. 😁IMG_20181208_100204.thumb.jpg.0cb553e8927bf81df24b04f365f0f215.jpg

• Like 1