inTank Media Baskets

Rick J G - 8 month update on ALIFE 7

rickjg

This is probly a really dumb question, but here goes: What is the hot pink frilly looking stuff in the front of the tank in several of the pix? THANKS, it is very beautiful!

Robin

The pink frilly thing is some type of plant that grew from the live rock. The plant has small plantlets that grow from the older leaves, just like some aquatic ferns do. It grows very quickly and has to be trimmed at least once a month. That's why it is much smaller in the latest pictures.

Rick, it's very striking IMO and adds a lot, as long as it doesn't overgrow the other stuff. I have found that sometimes the initially-cool stuff gets out of hand. (In my less-experienced days, I thought valonia was gorgeous, til it became a plague!)

Nice setup!!

Robin

I think it looks awesome (and I'm not just talking about the plant ;) )! Pruning is always a good idea for any aquatic plants in a reef system... Hey Ross, if you come to the meeting @ Aquatic Warehouse this weekend, could you bring some of the "baby" plants if you have any?? I would love to through that in my fuge! -Thanks

It is strange that the pink plant started growing from the live rock. My brother gave me that piece of Caribbean live rock back in "98. It was in my brother's reef tank for a couple of years before he gave it to me, then it was in my 1st Nano tank for a couple of years. I put all of my live rock in my son's SW tank when my 1st Nano crashed. I then re-used some of my favorite pieces plus some fresh live rock when I set-up the ALIFE tank. It is amazing how much life is locked away inside of a small piece of rock, just waiting for the right conditions to start growing.

Archived