Pod Your Reef

sexing shrimp

jjharrisx4

how does one sex a shrimp??? the question of the day :P

I have 2 CBS in different tanks but would like to combine them in my 50 g. how do you tell male/female and do you think 2 in a 50 would work?

The only way I know how to tell the difference is when the female is carrying eggs. Here "belly" appears to be green in color and if you look closely you can spot out individual eggs.

One book I have does say that females can be larger and males more slender and it says that it is typically not well pronounced (read: not easy)

Cameron

"its not my bag baby ! YEAH ! Ill sex ya up... but SHEES A HE.... MAN !"

Females have longer swimmerettes ( paddle fins under the tail) Also some females have more a colorfull Telson.

Males are smaller. THEY ALSO MATE FER LIFE if it is a Sepenious species from the caribbian. ya are better off buying Golden coral bandeds from the caribbian.;)

well, here's an update...I went ahead and did it, and crossed my fingers. So far it's been since Friday night and they are hanging out together non-stop. It's really cool because the shrimp used to hide all the time but now are right in the front for the whole world to see. I'll get pics when I can.

awesome! i'd be interested to see that pic and also to know whether they seem to be more or less aggressive toward other tank inhabitants now that they are (or appear to be) paired up. ...

Originally posted by jjharrisx4

how does one sex a shrimp???  

Generally, I turn the lights down low, turn on Van Morrison's Moondance or Bryan Ferry's Boys and Girls and pour a little wine into the tank (white wine, red will cause clouding). I then whisper softly to the shrimp, telling it how attracted I am to it and, if the situation calls for it, I will also give it a small gift.

Oh, wait, you mean determine the sex. Nevermind.

Archived