Coral Vue Hydros

First water change??

ThatReefGuy718

After your tanks cycles. 0 ammonia 0 Nitrites and if your nitrates are over 5-10.

Cycle time frame depends on Rock, used, Sand used, and what method you introduced ammonia to the tank to start the cycle.

31 minutes ago, ThatReefGuy718 said:

PH 8.2 

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

live cured rock 

live carib sea sand

Introduced Clownfish

I am just over 2 weeks and I am so tempted to add fish but I am trying to be patient

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ccejka said:

I am just over 2 weeks and I am so tempted to add fish but I am trying to be patient

You’re doing it the right way! Ghost feed and make sure that nitrates stay down before adding fish 🙂 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

You’re doing it the right way! Ghost feed and make sure that nitrates stay down before adding fish 🙂 

I am considering getting a clean up crew in a week or so (one shrimp and a handful of snails) 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I do have a water question not to high jack the thread.....

I am in the process of setting up an RO DI system in my house but I am ok to top off with water you get from refilling containers it says RO UV sterilized.

58 minutes ago, ccejka said:

I am in the process of setting up an RO DI system in my house but I am ok to top off with water you get from refilling containers it says RO UV sterilized.

That's just ro water, there is still tds/junk in it.

Distilled water is the better option 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

That's just ro water, there is still tds/junk in it.

Distilled water is the better option 

Looks like I will be making a run to the store... Hoping to have my RO DI system up and running by this weekend then get a test kit for the total dissolved solids.

1 hour ago, ccejka said:

Yeah, you’ll be okay. As long as there is no chlorine, it should be okay to use temporarily. 0tdd RODI is nice since it is pure; it can’t feed algae growth. But in a pinch, not a problem.

The real issues that come up have to do with the contaminants becoming concentrated. Pure water evaporates from the tank, then you add “non-pure” water. The pure water evaporates. Etc.

The impurities remain in the tank, they do not leave with evaporation. 

16 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Yeah, you’ll be okay. As long as there is no chlorine, it should be okay to use temporarily. 0tdd RODI is nice since it is pure; it can’t feed algae growth. But in a pinch, not a problem.

The real issues that come up have to do with the contaminants becoming concentrated. Pure water evaporates from the tank, then you add “non-pure” water. The pure water evaporates. Etc.

The impurities remain in the tank, they do not leave with evaporation. 

I am going to run and grab some distilled water from the store to just try and keep as much impurities out of the water as I can. I plan do do my first water change next week and I should use RO DI water correct?

21 minutes ago, ccejka said:

I am going to run and grab some distilled water from the store to just try and keep as much impurities out of the water as I can. I plan do do my first water change next week and I should use RO DI water correct?

Well, don’t forget the salt LOL. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Well, don’t forget the salt LOL. 

Right lol turns out that is important to these things lol..... I am torn on pre mixed from petco (what i filled the tank with) or mixing my own. I am going to measure the salinity before the water change and if it is off mix the water accordingly to get it down around that 1.025 mark.