Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fish or corals first?

Roachant

From a fish disease standpoint, adding corals and then waiting at least 45 days before adding fish lessens the chance of an encysted tomont still being present on the coral. Also, corals produce less waste than fish so you can safely add more of them to a newly cycled aquarium.

• Like 1
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

I started this hobby with one hardy fish first (Ocellaris Clown) being new to the hobby and it worked out well. A year into the hobby and admittedly I’m no expert, but think I’d do the same. My tank cycled and the first fish handled it better than I’d imagine my current corals would’ve if they’d gone through the same cycle.

Get the fish, feed the fish, check your parameters after you’ve got a bio load, address if needed, then add the more delicate corals into the stabled environment for better chances at success.

In short it seems most fish have a bigger impact on water than most corals so deal with their impact first.

• Like 1

Imo fish first, then cuc and 

corals. The fish create nutrients which fuels algae, so the clean up crew has something to eat, and the corals use nutrients in the water. 

Technically you could add them all at once if you wanted to, but this way lessens the possibility if issues imo. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! 

I’m torn, my lfs has the tailspot blenny I want but I was leaning toward a mushroom coral or two to start. I may end up getting both fish and coral but it seems like a lot all at once. 

As long as your tank is cycled you should be able to get both at once. Tail spots have a small bio load and mushrooms are fairly hardy. Just don't add too much at once but adding one small fish and a mushroom is more than manageable in my opinion. 

• Like 1

TSB’ s are omnivores but tend to graze on algae’s fairly heavily. Without algae present you almost have to feed daily. So until u have algae present id wait on that. Great little fish though. Lotsa personality.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

TSB’ s are omnivores but tend to graze on algae’s fairly heavily. Without algae present you almost have to feed daily. So until u have algae present id wait on that. Great little fish though. Lotsa personality.

I’m going to wait on the two spot then, I really don’t have much algae, my hermit and snail have done a good job cleaning what little diatoms are there. There’s a tiny bit of green spots but there isn’t enough to support much at the moment. I’m going to just get the mushrooms and wait and see from there.

• Like 1
Gourami Swami

Another benefit of adding corals first would be that shy fish will feel more secure with more going on in the tank, and corals will add some sight breaks and motion to the tank. I have always found fish, especially if they are the only fish in the tank, really appreciate heavier décor, to the bare bones look.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Roachant said:

I’m going to wait on the two spot then, I really don’t have much algae, my hermit and snail have done a good job cleaning what little diatoms are there. There’s a tiny bit of green spots but there isn’t enough to support much at the moment. I’m going to just get the mushrooms and wait and see from there.

Those “green spots “ will spread pretty quickly. Need more info on your tank, and a pic would be great. Size, light type and photo period of same, filtration, type of rock and substrate (if you have one), size of cuc, tank age. All the facts, lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Those “green spots “ will spread pretty quickly. Need more info on your tank, and a pic would be great. Size, light type and photo period of same, filtration, type of rock and substrate (if you have one), size of cuc, tank age. All the facts, lol.

Oh, I have a build thread with pics 

I should update the pics but nothing has changed much, apart from a bit of algae and a hermit crab and snail 🐌.

Photoperiod is from 6 to 10 am actinic  day lowest setting and 10 am to 7 pm stock lights at full and from 7 to 9 pm just actinics.

If ur using the foam blocks u might want to consider dumping them. They’re tough to clean thoroughly, and can become nitrate factories. I don’t know much about Evo’s so I’ll let those with more experience with them chime in for alternatives. Nice little systems though, and very popular. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

If ur using the foam blocks u might want to consider dumping them. They’re tough to clean thoroughly, and can become nitrate factories. I don’t know much about Evo’s so I’ll let those with more experience with them chime in for alternatives. Nice little systems though, and very popular. 

Yep, first thing I did was to ditch the foam and use filter floss which I plan to change out once a week. I’m also running chemipure blue and seachem matrix in my sump.

• Like 1