Innovative Marine Aquariums

Orange Balls (Something spawning?)

GimpKing

Hi all, this is my first post. I've only been running a marine aquarium for the past 3-4 months. This is my first post. 

Can anyone explain what these orange balls are? I'm thinking that there are some sort of spawn or eggs?  I have the following livestock:

Two clowns (black and white) 

Six line wrasse 

Red Fromia star (I'm thinking it could be this guy spawning)

Trachy 

Lobo 

Morphs

Goni 

Torch

This is the second time I've seen this in the last week. 

Thanks 

IMG20181111172537.jpg

IMG20181111172533.jpg

Edited by GimpKing
Better Description

Hmm, interesting.  I can't say that I know what they are.

How long have you had your sea star?  Most people have problems keeping them alive in a small tank (just not enough food I suspect).  When they die, they tend to break apart.  I hope that's not what's going on here.  I don't think it is though, as they usually break up in larger chunks and it happens fairly quickly.

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

I hope not, my daughter love the starfish. It's been in there for two months looks like its doing ok; pooping a lot.

What are the warning signs of a starfish starving?... I imagine it can be tough to tell. 

Edited by GimpKing
Add word "be"
1 minute ago, GimpKing said:

What are the warning signs of a starfish starving?... I imagine it can be tough to tell.

Yeah, I believe that you are right.  It's hard to tell.  They just don't have a great track record; otherwise, they'd be much more popular.

5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I believe that you are right.  It's hard to tell.  They just don't have a great track record; otherwise, they'd be much more popular.

IME there are none.  They are scooting around one minute and the next thing you know, a leg turns to mush and falls off where it is.  I've had it happen a few times when I kept various different stars to keep the harlequins. 

• Like 2

Like I said, I doubt the orange bits are from your sea star (as their demise is usually quick).  But don't be surprised if/when that happens.

Still no idea what the orange bits are. :unsure: