Cultivated Reef

Any advice please

Alihardi1289

Hey I'm starting a 29 gallon reef after being out of the hobby for 6 years. The light is going to be a current USA 24 inch, just ordered today. Current stock is 1 female clown and 4 dasmles. I'm also getting a 10 gallon to use as my sump and overflow. Any advice on the tank, fish, coral, and lighting would be very appreciated thanks guys 😁 also getting more LR today.

20181108_125902.jpg

I have a 20 gallon and use the Current usa 24 inch. on my fusion 20 peninsula.  I have the whole set up with the eflux wave pump and bluetooth to control it.  I will say i am going to probably be upgrading soon though.  The light is great and really easy to use out of the box and set up.  I love it its just not that powerful.  My zoas and shrooms do great but thats about all I have been able to keep.  GL

Best suggestion: slow down... do research.

SW aquariums have moved a long way in the past 6 yrs.

You have a huge bio load and you are still adding LR, a sump, and various other equipment. I'd see if you can take all the fish, or at least, Damsels back until you get the tank fully established. 

• Like 1

I've kinda been thinking about that a bit worried there plus my last reef tank I had damsels and they seemed to aggressive. The tank hasn't even finished it's cycle so I'm just planning things not going to add any coral yet. But thanks for reminding me to slow down. Lol it's just so hard to 

Cycling with fish is old school and people frown upon it now so you're going too get some backlash. Five fish seems like of a hell of a lot even for fish-in-cycling.

• Like 5

LR will cycle with nothing more than a bit of any fish food thrown in to feed the bacteria. It's best to get all the LR in there ASAP. There is a system setup sub forum on this site. Check out the "soft cycle" thread there. It might save the fishs' lives and it'll save you tons of money.

Also, don't believe anything that the Petco employees tell you.

• Like 1

Depending on the liverock you get will depend on cycling.

Fully cured liverock should cause no cycle

Uncured LR will cause a cycle due to die off

Dry rock cycling needs ammonia and bacteria dosing.

Cycling with fish is old school as it is cruel to the fish.

If you plan on keeping the fish, I would dose seachem Prime to detoxify the ammonia.

Damsels are aggressive fish and most likely you may end up with only 1 survivor.

As it is, you have a high bioload for a new tank and one in the process of cycling.

If they all survive, you are maxed out on fish bioload.

Current led is not a bad light. A lot of ppl use it and even have had success with easy sps up at the top. 

Torches are a moderate light coral and should be fine under the current led(as long as you got the marine version)

You will need a powerhead for the tank.

• Like 1

If you can take the fish back, please do. Cycling with fish wasn't recommended when I started ten years ago and even then it was supposed to be just one. Fish should be added one or two at a time with preferably a month in between new additions. You'll probably need more rock in there and it should be added without fish in there or cycled separately. If you don't take the fish back, please use Seachem Prime and a bacteria supplement like Biospira, Microbacter7, or Dr. Tim's. That and lots of big water changes (part of soft cycling) will help keep your fish alive. 

• Like 3