inTank Media Baskets

Radion XR15W G4 on 3g picotope, overkill?

eastcoast

Is this overkill? Obviously wouldn’t run on highest setting. Mostly looking to keep LPS, maybe an SPS or two and zoas. Assuming it’s overkill but the spectrum and controllability is what has caught my eye.

thanks in advance!

The simple answer is YES! That being said, as clown said if you keep the light rather high above the tank and plan your intensity and coral placement wisely, you will be fine. The best way to know for sure would be to use a PAR meter when setting it up to know your values. Make a map of these values so you exactly where to place corals as you get them. 

I guess I would have a hard time spending the $ on a Radion for a 3g pico. Go big or go home (so to speak), 🙂

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

....Have you considered a kessil a80?

I would even consider an ABI Tuna Blue or Coral Compulsion bulb and use the money saved for something to go in the tank.

• Like 1

What is the depth and coral stocking list for it?

I have an xr15, and it's great, TONS of controllability. The light's intensity can go very low, so I don't see how you couldn't use one. Only thing that would stop me is the price. Just make sure to start at the lowest setting and work up.

6 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

I would even consider an ABI Tuna Blue or Coral Compulsion bulb and use the money saved for something to go in the tank.

That's what I thought too but the op seems interested in controllability. 

I would use the Abi. It's a great light.

If it is controllability that is key, then why not get an AI Prime HD for half the cost. Has the controllability, is still more power than needed, and leaves an extra $200 on the table.

• Like 2

I'd suggest an AI Prime or Kessil A80 or 160 first, I'd expect a Radion might be hard to bump down far enough on a pico unless it's set very high above the tank, and then you might run into light overspill.

That dank Reefer

I run a xr30 over my 20 cube, but it’s because I was downsizing considerably from my 60 and was not about to buy a new light. It’s controllability allows me to use it just fine but it is on a lower percentage. a xr15 on a 3g is even more overkill. IMO i’d save the money an get the prime.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'd suggest an AI Prime or Kessil A80 or 160 first, I'd expect a Radion might be hard to bump down far enough on a pico unless it's set very high above the tank, and then you might run into light overspill.

Not sure what you mean by "Hard to bump down far enough". Its a LED fixture. You can run it at  .1% 🙂 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Not sure what you mean by "Hard to bump down far enough". Its a LED fixture. You can run it at  .1% 🙂 

My concern would be whether that 0.1% of a fixture this strong is still too much over 3 gallons.  I wouldn't put anything stronger than the ones I suggested over a pico. But if OP has the light already and wants to experiment, go for it. 

3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

My concern would be whether that 0.1% of a fixture this strong is still too much over 3 gallons.  I wouldn't put anything stronger than the ones I suggested over a pico. But if OP has the light already and wants to experiment, go for it. 

.1% of the 200 watts is .2 watts.  An AI prime is 50 watts. You won't have an issue. A80 is 15w. 

That dank Reefer

20g waterbox with the xr30 an I’m at 25%. .1% couldn’t be overkill. Is that even possible?EcoSmart only lets me adjust it by 5%. If you can adjust it that finely I wonder how much it’s really changing 

11 minutes ago, That dank Reefer said:

20g waterbox with the xr30 an I’m at 25%. .1% couldn’t be overkill. Is that even possible?EcoSmart only lets me adjust it by 5%. If you can adjust it that finely I wonder how much it’s really changing 

Thats the overall program- you can also do 1% on each channel 

That dank Reefer

Oh yea I guess you could do that...light would just barely be on.

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Thats the overall program- you can also do 1% on each channel